What mileage has your bike done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mileage has your bike done.

Hi Guys. Hello from timaru new zealand. New to this site and loving the TLR info, pics etc. I have previously owned a 98 TLR and now have a busa soon to be sold hopefully to get anohter TLR. Now my question relates to my potential new bike. There are a number of TLRs for sale here ranging in mileage from 13000kms to 70000kms. Some are japenese imports. What is the general mileage where you guys are experiencing mechanical issues. I have come across 2 jap import bikes with low mileage but are bog standard and are a bit pricey or NZ market ones ranging in the 30000 plus mileage(kms) for less coin and some goodies but am I goin to get mechanical probs the week after I buy it due to the mileage. Whats your guys opinions. Are japenese marker TLRs worth touching. thanks guys. Grant

Re: What mileage has your bike done.

33000 kms and my chain snapped! that ended my engine
    there is a guy here who has over 140,000 kms on his tls and no rebuild i believe

Comment

i have 15k kms on my Tls 1997,just water pump seal went no big deal easy fix. But had to do therm stat mod( due to cool running, and had plus mod done as well ( thanks to Chris and sparkymarky). air-box mod i did which was easy and enjoyable, as ive not messed with bikes for a few years. put sv coils on while i was tating, and Mats Tre. then power commander 111, still got to have mapped properly when new exhausts fitted. also changed clipons to gillies to change ride height as my wrists hurt a lot these days. more to come but basic ones done, will be looking at earth mod as well before fitting new lights. And having Acumen Tempest alarm fitted soon, dont want my baby pinched by some slag. : )
      Last edited by Gorfinder; 09-23-2010, 05:50 AM.
      if its not broken MOD it

Comment

I have over 30000 miles on mine and it runs great. No major malfunctions. I would say that whatever bike you get making sure it was maintained proplerly is more important then the mileage.
        Mike Rock
        NESBA #506 '98 TLR
        American cycle performance MRP motorsports

Comment

What mikey sed. I've got one with 48000mi on her. No none motor problems. Knock on wood!!!! Every dam thing electrical though has happen.

Comment

64351.5 as of 6pm . T.L.
            sigpic391 lbs or 177.34 kg LIST OF MODS ,The Short List ,The frame Is Stock.

Comment

131000 km's @ the mo ,with nothing done .Paul Devir has a couple more than me though .
              Triumph 1050 Speed Triple

Wilbers rear shock, Reworked forks Racetech gold valves, Crazy Mofo Rad guard, FP Racing levers, IXIL low pipe .

TLS naked project

Rebuilt motor from Sam, 04-06 R1 forks/brakes and wheels, Penske shock and spring + Linderman link, Big bore zorst with Ti Scorpion cans, TLS that needs some loving .

Comment

40K miles and going strong (touch wood)
                ************************************************** **************************************************

My bike mod list - Click here

Comment

past a 100,000 km here...

still a rocket...

Comment

i'm looking at possibly buying an tl1000r with 32000 miles is has comismetic damage and some stuff but i put about 15,000 miles on a year so how long do one of these bikes last and how does it compare to the rc51 as far as cornering and handling thanks for any help

Comment

Originally posted by gobi42 View Post
                      i'm looking at possibly buying an tl1000r with 32000 miles is has comismetic damage and some stuff but i put about 15,000 miles on a year so how long do one of these bikes last and how does it compare to the rc51 as far as cornering and handling thanks for any help
                      Which rc51? Sp1 or sp 2?

Only real problem with the tl that can't be fixed with good maintenance is the rear suspension but once you change it, it becomes a whole new bike.
                      Mike Rock
                      NESBA #506 '98 TLR

Comment

well i owned an sp2 so i would wanted it compared to that

Comment

Originally posted by gobi42 View Post
                          well i owned an sp2 so i would wanted it compared to that
                          Gods honest truth, the sp2 is a better bike. It handles better, has better feel, but it is horribly uncomfortable on long trips. The tl can make as much or more power, and with some suspension upgrades it can handle close to the RC. Unless you take them to the track, I doubt you will know a difference between the handling of the rc and a tl with an aftermarket rear shock.
                          Mike Rock
                          NESBA #506 '98 TLR

Comment

i'm learning

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              40K miles and going strong (touch wood)
                              does that mean your speedo is in kilometers and not miles in , in the uk is kms then?

i ask cause i potentially want a new speedo unit. i found one in the uk but seller wont sell os

Comment

Working...
                              X