Strange dead battery issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange dead battery issue

So i just got my tlr painted and put on a new sprocket, chain and power commander while i was at it. The map was done by a buddy who has alot of experience with gsx-r's, but never a tlr, nor was it dynoed. But either way i get it all back together looking good, sounding and running better then ever. Scoot from here to there all day, and after a bout an hour run on the highway, the power cuts out on an off ramp. i hit the kill switch on and off and just barely get it crunk back up and going again. make a couple quick stops, then get it to the house, and now she's flat dead 5 minutes later.

Is it the power commander maybe?
    Just cause it's been sitting and the battery is older?
    or is it the aftermarket stator that someone told the last owner to put on?

i was told it's definately a good idea to go back to the factory suzuki stator, but never got around to it.
    The last month, before it sat for a few days getting worked on, it has been acting funny and the power will cut out in the middle of trying to get a cold start, but everytime, i just hit the kill switch on and off and try again and she cranks up and runs fine.

Plans are definately to do all the mods on here, especially the wiring one. if i'm not mistaken there's that beaver company or w/e it's called that makes premade plug and go replacements for the faulty sections of the tl wiring system. but until then, what should i do?

Re: Strange dead battery issue

Charge the battery up and then systematically diagnose the fault. It should not be power commander related at all.

Check the stator voltages, check the voltage out of the R/R and check the voltage at the battery.

Check the condition of the 4 pin plug on the starter solenoid, check the condition of the other harness plugs, especially the large ones up the front of the bike.
    "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

So your problems started before you got the work done.
      Check your cables and all your connections. We have all missed something here or there after putting it all back together. Sounds like something may have came loose. By the way I just bought a brand new craftsman multi meter for 59.99 at sears that has more functions than my other way more expensive meter that is only a few years old. If you know how to use this, finding your fault is quick and easy. what ever 'power cutting in and out' means it doesnt sound good and needs immediate attention. rocking the kill switch back and fourth and hoping for the best is not good enough. Let us know what you find.
      K&N ~ full stainless yosh ~ flush front signals ~ ideal cycle undertail ~ russell stainless front and rear lines ~ Barnett clutch springs ~ cheesey ebay hugger ~ fuel moto ATRE ~ euro right hand switch ~ speed metal shorty levers ~ Joe V airbox mod ~ flapper delete ~ +5+10+5 (thanks chuck!)

Comment

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2369000P?mv=rr

link to the meter
        K&N ~ full stainless yosh ~ flush front signals ~ ideal cycle undertail ~ russell stainless front and rear lines ~ Barnett clutch springs ~ cheesey ebay hugger ~ fuel moto ATRE ~ euro right hand switch ~ speed metal shorty levers ~ Joe V airbox mod ~ flapper delete ~ +5+10+5 (thanks chuck!)

Comment

appreciate it. i'm gonna start tearing into it first thing this week

Comment

Working...
          X