TL1000R is sick, please help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TL1000R is sick, please help!!!

I am going to run through the events that led up to my bike dying on me, as well as the symptoms it is showing now. any help would be appreciated as I am lost without her
    I went for a run on Sunday and all went well for the first 200km or so. going into a left hend end at about 140km/h or so it just cut out on me showing a Fi on the dash. switching the ignition off then back on I could ride on for about 10km or so and the she died and wouldnt start up again. I trailered her home and have stripped off all the tailpiece and fairings, lifted the tank and checked all plugs for loose connections, etc. In dealer mode she shows c00, meaning no fault i believe.
    On switching the ignition on withe kill switch in off position the display shows CHECK as normal, when I then switch the kill switch on some times the fuel pump runs or else the fuel pump relay just starts ticking constantly. when the fuel pump does start and I press the starter button the dash dies or shows half digits and the relay starts ticking. all the while the dash lights seem duller than usual.

Please, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Im from South Africa and the bike shops here charge a furtune just to inspect and I am quite good with my hands.

kind regards to all

Re: TL1000R is sick, please help!!!

Hook the bike via jumper cables to a non running car and see if it starts. By your comments about the dash going to half digits it sounds like the battery might be dead or shot.
    Mike Rock
    NESBA #506 '98 TLR
    American cycle performance MRP motorsports

Comment

Mine did some thing like that. Check the main plug at the cylonoid. The four wire plug by the battery. The red wire is the power to the key. It was burnt up not letting enough volts threw.

Comment

easy fix here but you will need to do some troubleshooting. Puter her isn dealer mode and drive around until te code trips. tkae note of the code and let us know.

Where I would start;

Replace your battery

Do the elctrical fix on my site

Replace the fuel pump relay

that should fix 90% of the common electrical gremlins...
        Last edited by chucks_net; 09-28-2010, 01:02 PM.
        email me: [email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/chucks.net

My Parts and Service Business

My Site

The TL1000 Section and my mods

Free ECU Mapping Here

TL FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by ph3nom View Post
          ... when I then switch the kill switch on some times the fuel pump runs or else the fuel pump relay just starts ticking constantly. when the fuel pump does start and I press the starter button the dash dies or shows half digits and the relay starts ticking. all the while the dash lights seem duller than usual.

kind regards to all
          As others have said, your problem is most likely a bad battery. You can determine just how dead it is by using a volt meter to monitor the voltage across the battery terminals while pressing the starter button (try to start the bike). The voltage will go very low - probably around 1 or 2 volts. Given the manner in which it died on you, it is not even worth charging. Just replace it.

If the new battery allows it to start, the first thing you should do thereafter is make sure your charging system is working properly. Then, if needed, install the "charging mod" at your earliest convenience.

http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68702

January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

Hi guys,

I hooked the bike up with my dads blackbird battery and it started up no problem. couldnt ride it coz wouldnt fit in the battery box so iv bought a new battery now and am going to check it further tonight. thanks for all the advice, i really do appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by ph3nom View Post
              Hi guys,

I hooked the bike up with my dads blackbird battery and it started up no problem. couldnt ride it coz wouldnt fit in the battery box so iv bought a new battery now and am going to check it further tonight. thanks for all the advice, i really do appreciate it.
              Glade we could help. make sure the charging system is working right to keep that battery around as long as possible.
              Mike Rock
              NESBA #506 '98 TLR
              American cycle performance MRP motorsports

Comment

Working...
              X