98 TLR Battery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 TLR Battery.

I am looking to get a new batter for a 1998 TLR1000. I see many people recommend the Yuasa batteries. They look nice but i am wondering what about the Full Spectrum Power Pulse batteries. I see these look like high performance racing batteries, so what is the difference between the two? Mainly looking for people who have used them before. But any advice or info will be great.

Thanks

P.S. Here is a link to the batteries for the Pulse.
    http://www.fullspectrumpower.com/products_pulse.html
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll Die Tomorrow"
    "If you're not busy being born, then you are busy dying"
    "I have Become Death, Destroyer of World's"

Re: 98 TLR Battery.

Should I sell my bike to afford one ??

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro View Post
      I am looking to get a new batter for a 1998 TLR1000. I see many people recommend the Yuasa batteries. They look nice but i am wondering what about the Full Spectrum Power Pulse batteries. I see these look like high performance racing batteries, so what is the difference between the two? Mainly looking for people who have used them before. But any advice or info will be great.

Thanks

P.S. Here is a link to the batteries for the Pulse.
      http://www.fullspectrumpower.com/products_pulse.html
      I have the speed cell version, I think its the p3. I absolutely love it. A lot lighter then stock, seems a bit more powerful then the yausa battery, and hasn't destroyed itself yet. I do suggest that if you get the pulse, spend the extra couple of bucks on the rip cord. If you are going to be parking the bike for an extended period, the only tools you will need to unhook the battery is to take the battery door fairing off.

And the differences between the fsp battery and any normal battery is everything. They are totally different. A normal battery is lead acid, so its heavy, and liquid filled. Also the plates tend to get sulfated a lot because it seems most batteries are being made with recycled lead, and have a lot shorter life span then they used to. The fsp battery is actually a lot like a cell phone battery. Same principle, but slightly different materials to make it more stable. They said they use lithium ferous cells because they don't explode ( or are super hard to blow up). Another cool thing about the fsp battery is that it has kind of a lifetime warranty. PLEASE READ THE REST BEFORE ACCEPTING THAT COMMENT. I was told by Jason I think on the wera forums that even though they offer no.formal warranty, if you have an issue with their battery, send it back to them, they will test it, and if something is wrong because of materials or workmanship they will repair it as best as possible. One guy said he had a battery for over a year sent it in and they repaired something he screwed up.

ONE OTHER IMPORTANT THING ABOUT THE FSP BATTERY, THEY SAY THAT A BATTERY TENDER WILL CHARGE THE CELLS WRONG IN SOME WAY AND WILL DESTROY THE BATTERY. Check with them on proper charging if the batter dies, and don't use a tender to MAINTAIN the battery.
      Mike Rock
      NESBA #506 '98 TLR
      American cycle performance MRP motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Hobo View Post
        Should I sell my bike to afford one ??
        They aren't that expensive. I kept eating batteries every couple of months. Even tore up a yausa battery. I have had the fsp battery for over 6 months, and this battery is doing awesome. I have yet to even have to charge this thing. Starts the TL on the first shot.
        Mike Rock
        NESBA #506 '98 TLR

Comment

Sweet, that is exactly what i needed to know. I thought they looked and seemed better but i wanted to hear from some users. Thanks
          @Mikey, I figured that most batteries would last a year tops. i know the quality is not what it used to be. So to me the battery pays for it sell over a year or two.

Comment

One last quick thing. I looked up the rip cord. Does this involve cutting and wiring the battery harness leads or do you just use the quick connector on the harness?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro View Post
              One last quick thing. I looked up the rip cord. Does this involve cutting and wiring the battery harness leads or do you just use the quick connector on the harness?

Thanks
              I'm not sure if its long enough, but if it is you can use it to replace the positive cable.
              Mike Rock
              NESBA #506 '98 TLR

Comment

Wow...thats a spendy battery. I would opt for skipping the cheeseburger fellas!

Comment

Originally posted by 6r_tlr View Post
                  Wow...thats a spendy battery. I would opt for skipping the cheeseburger fellas!
                  Yeah but considering that I went through more then one battery in little over 6 months and this battery has already lasted that and has no sign of stopping. That and the weight saving is an extra benefit.
                  Mike Rock
                  NESBA #506 '98 TLR

Comment

I recently changed my battery (about 3 months ago) to a CTZ14s made by MF batteries.

Its a gel battery and the TLR version (smaller the TLS), I was planning to do the gap mod. But its going to be a while yet. Anyway this battery 230cca
                    I haven't had a problem starting the bike yet, performs as it should and hopefully it will last more than 12 months.
                    ************************************************** **************************************************

My bike mod list - Click here

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey75702 View Post
                      Yeah but considering that I went through more then one battery in little over 6 months and this battery has already lasted that and has no sign of stopping. That and the weight saving is an extra benefit.
                      I would be looking into your charging system...Unless you have a bunch of vampire stuff on your bike that pulls current when shes off I bought a battery from the zuki dealer(forget the make) in January for 65 bucks and she is still cranking strong

Comment

Another option is the glass mat or gauze batteries, which are made more like a capacitor. I use the Optima in my car, and used an Odyssey in my BMW. Good charge density, good short-term power, low internal resistance.

The issue iwht the lithioum-iron are that the individual cells should ideally be charged sepeartely or thru a balancer circuit, but discharged directly.
                        It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

PC310 here and I love it!
                          http://tl1000rmods.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 6r_tlr View Post
                            I would be looking into your charging system...Unless you have a bunch of vampire stuff on your bike that pulls current when shes off I bought a battery from the zuki dealer(forget the make) in January for 65 bucks and she is still cranking strong
                            Charging system is fine. everything is within specs. even did the charging mod and upgraded to the mosfet regulator. tried a battery from Walmart first. then 2 yausa batteries. this one works great. here is a pic. its half the size of a stock battery. disregard the cut wire. it was an old power for the camera

All of the foam is to keep the battery still. I put a bulk head connector inside there under the foam for the battery connector
                            Last edited by Mikey75702; 09-30-2010, 06:17 PM.
                            Mike Rock
                            NESBA #506 '98 TLR

Comment

Originally posted by cyclecamper View Post
                              Another option is the glass mat or gauze batteries, which are made more like a capacitor. I use the Optima in my car, and used an Odyssey in my BMW. Good charge density, good short-term power, low internal resistance.

The issue iwht the lithioum-iron are that the individual cells should ideally be charged sepeartely or thru a balancer circuit, but discharged directly.
                              Odyssey batteries are nice. I used the optimia batteries in my last car to power the 6000 watt stereo system, those batteries died in 6months each. Replaced once under warranty, and died again before I.got rid of it. I know 5 or 6 other people.that have killed the optimia as well.
                              Mike Rock
                              NESBA #506 '98 TLR

Comment

Working...
                              X