Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED ADVICE ASAP ...please help ..

Hey guys ..my mecanic is almost done with my enigne rebild

big bore kit .full race porting complete °hlins galfer ect ect...

well anyway..he asks me if i want something on the cams removed ..
    dont know what its called in english
    i think it is the scissorgears but im not sure . .he tels that it gives a little on the preformance but also makes the engine more mecanical noice. .

so i told him i need to ask you guys first .about this ...please let me know ..

thanks. . bachuus

Re: NEED ADVICE ASAP ...please help ..

Paging Sam... or any other competent enging builder. Sorry mate... I'm useless on this one.
    sigpic

Comment

Yes, they are the scissor gears. No harm in removing them, from what I have heard. Like your mechanic said, just a little more noise.
      You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Comment

Ok i see ..well just wanted to know if it is a bad or god idea .
        how about the decomp system

Comment

It's just over a 1lbs of rotating assembly that U can live without.
          I removed my scissor gears about 6 years ago and everything is well, some people will tell U that after removal it's harder to start but that is nothing I notice.
          What they do is keep the valves open to help start engine easier but mine starts better with them removed.
          The engines revs a bit faster since there is less of rotating mass, I say take them out, TL is loud as fuck either way

BTW:
          Can U say more about what U are having done in the engine itself?

Comment

haha nice answer well ok i will tell him that...

looking forvard to try out my new engine

Comment

and thanks again ...by the way were can i find a pic .of this scissorgear thing

Comment

ronayers.com, maybe..under fiche
                It's just a set of gears mounted on Your cams with some springs and clips

Comment

Scissor gears are worth while to remove in my opinion. I noticed my engine spun up faster after they were removed, but there was a little more engine noise.

Somebody mentioned decompression lever removal. I took mine out and wish I had not. I think it's worth while mod if your bike is a race bike or a sunny sunday type of ride. But my TL is a daily rider (untill the snow comes). Now that it's getting down into the low low 30s F at night my bike is a pain to start in the morning because the cold is sucking up all my battery power.
                  01 TL1000S Mods: Always adding more. I'm tired of trying to keep this up to date

Comment

Battery tender should be on Your Christmas wish list for this year if U have power where the bike is parked.
                    I have mine plugged in from October to and of April in NJ.

Comment

Actually I dont have a "battery tender" but I have a low rate battery charger that has the same functions as a battery tender. I just pulled it out of the cabinet this morning and hooked it up I couldn't have it plugged in the last couple of weeks because my garage had a truck in it that I was fixing, which was blocking the door. So I parked the bike outside since I couldn't get it in and out.
                      Last edited by TLSMan; 10-12-2010, 10:07 PM.
                      01 TL1000S Mods: Always adding more. I'm tired of trying to keep this up to date

Comment

Originally posted by bachuus1002 View Post
                        and thanks again ...by the way were can i find a pic .of this scissorgear thing
                        This is a decompressor (Sent to Ian / TL Monkey)

This is the scissor gear.

Removing rotating weight from the crankshaft or flywheel will give a noticeable result in spooling not a few trinkets off the camshafts.
                        Of course going to far with the above will result in lost stored energy,inability to hold a high gear on gradients and loss of low speed smooth running in the same upper gears.
                        Last edited by TLDV8; 10-12-2010, 10:46 PM.
                        49 Sunbeam S7 deluxe - 57 Triumph TR6 Trophy- 68 Husqvarna MF250 Cross-68 Husqvarna MF360 Viking-71 Norton Commando Fastback-73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado-73 Kawasaki H2A 750-73 Ducati 750 GT-74 Kawasaki H2B 750-74 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail-74 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail -74 Norton Commando Roadster-77 Ducati 900 SD-81 Ducati 900 SD-86 Husqvarna 400 WR-98 Suzuki TL1000S-98 Suzuki TL1000S-07 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S-08 Suzuki DR780

Comment

Aftermarket cams do not have the scissor gears - some choose to discard the factory items for a slightly lighter rotational mass, mostly personal choice on a road going bike.
                          If you have a decent aftermarket exhaust, you have little chance in hearing the "extra noise" from the lighter cams.

Originally posted by TLDV8 View Post
                          Of course going to far with the above will result in lost stored energy,inability to hold a high gear on gradients and loss of low speed smooth running in the same upper gears.
                          This is good advice, keep it in mind, especially when lightening the flywheel and/or crankshaft on a road going bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Patch11 View Post
                            Aftermarket cams do not have the scissor gears - some choose to discard the factory items for a slightly lighter rotational mass, mostly personal choice on a road going bike.
                            If you have a decent aftermarket exhaust, you have little chance in hearing the "extra noise" from the lighter cams.
                            Its more up Stu's alley but aftermarket cam gears have a different mesh or maybe gear profile to a TL item with a scissor gear as far as I know.
                            A straight cut gear of the correct design will make a noise similar to a supercharger drive whine,not the noise a scissorless TL gear makes,a GMC dump truck..
                            49 Sunbeam S7 deluxe - 57 Triumph TR6 Trophy- 68 Husqvarna MF250 Cross-68 Husqvarna MF360 Viking-71 Norton Commando Fastback-73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado-73 Kawasaki H2A 750-73 Ducati 750 GT-74 Kawasaki H2B 750-74 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail-74 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail -74 Norton Commando Roadster-77 Ducati 900 SD-81 Ducati 900 SD-86 Husqvarna 400 WR-98 Suzuki TL1000S-98 Suzuki TL1000S-07 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S-08 Suzuki DR780

Comment

What they do is keep the valves open to help start engine easier but mine starts better with them removed.
                              decompressors do this not scissor gears

scissor gears keep the cam gear teeth tight on each other.

it saves noise but it also saves wear on the gears. they can wear in patches as the load changes with the lift.

on the road you would not notice any difference in performance.

on the dyno you might see some difference but its not going to translate into anything useful. If you were chasing thousandths of a second over 400m then its worthwile.

have a dump before you ride its more likely to improve the acceleration of your bike.
                              www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
                              But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

Working...
                              X