radial brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radial brakes?

OK, call me a newb, but I have had a bike with cable clutch/brakes, now one with hyd's, what the heck is the radial system? Is it better, worse, new system or old school? Please explain, for this question has plagued me for a bit now. Thanks.

Re: radial brakes?

Most people relate radial to the calipers or master cylinder.
    Radial calipers have the fixing bolts radially mounted or pointing toward the axle unlike the conventional calipers on your TLR which fix inward to the lugs on the forks.
    There are also radial master cylinders which I guess are not that different to the older versions but the lever action and pivot leverage is radial.
    49 Sunbeam S7 deluxe - 57 Triumph TR6 Trophy- 68 Husqvarna MF250 Cross-68 Husqvarna MF360 Viking-71 Norton Commando Fastback-73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado-73 Kawasaki H2A 750-73 Ducati 750 GT-74 Kawasaki H2B 750-74 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail-74 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail -74 Norton Commando Roadster-77 Ducati 900 SD-81 Ducati 900 SD-86 Husqvarna 400 WR-98 Suzuki TL1000S-98 Suzuki TL1000S-07 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S-08 Suzuki DR780

Comment

Radial brake caliper with bolts though the casting,it is supposed to make the unit more rigid so the halves do not deflect outward so much when you apply the brakes.

Conventional caliper.

Are you going to notice the difference riding around town or normal riding,can't see it.
      Even the piston sizes are the same as 20+ years ago.
      Last edited by TLDV8; 10-15-2010, 10:01 PM.
      49 Sunbeam S7 deluxe - 57 Triumph TR6 Trophy- 68 Husqvarna MF250 Cross-68 Husqvarna MF360 Viking-71 Norton Commando Fastback-73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado-73 Kawasaki H2A 750-73 Ducati 750 GT-74 Kawasaki H2B 750-74 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail-74 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail -74 Norton Commando Roadster-77 Ducati 900 SD-81 Ducati 900 SD-86 Husqvarna 400 WR-98 Suzuki TL1000S-98 Suzuki TL1000S-07 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S-08 Suzuki DR780

Comment

Radial master cylinders (clutch or brake) are another thing due the pivot point and arc.
        Units like the Brembo 18/19 (bore and pivot length in mm) allow larger bores with leverage ratio's to match and improved hydraulic performance.
        Near all Japanese sport bikes have some kind of radial brake M/c now.
        A fad to a certain degree like radial calipers for most real world riding...You know braking from 200 kmh for the turn into a 'Wendies.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=differe...c=IE-SearchBox
        Last edited by TLDV8; 10-15-2010, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Having the "newer" calipers also gives us better choice of brake pad compounds, so when the new improved flavour comes out we can then use them

Comment

Thanks. Sounds more for racers than it does for me, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by RAT_on_a_TL View Post
              Thanks. Sounds more for racers than it does for me, lol.
              Circuit and TT Road racer Guy Martin went on record as saying radial brakes are just a dick size competition! They look so much better (especially as the newer forks they mostly attach to are nicer too!) and I'd probably upgrade if I could afford it. I doubt I'd ever notice too much of a difference though?

An english bike mag tested a K1 1K GSXR a while ago and said the conventional 6 pots were so good they questioned the radial revolution!
              Full Carbon Fibre (everything!), GSXR K1 Forks, SP1 4 pot Nissins - EBC Pads, Renthal Soft Grips, Vans Top Triple/Tail Risers/Return Spring and Seat, Symtec TRE, Larger Airbox, Ducati 999 Air Filters, DB Screen, Goodridge F&R, Fork Sliders, Race Rearsets, Projector Headlight, LED indicators and Rear Light, HRC Rear Reservoir, Dark Chrome Tank, PCIII, Ghosts Dealer Mode Switch, Full M4, GSXR600 Nissin Rear Caliper, Lightened and repositioned Exhaust Hangers, Lightened Rear Caliper Carrier

Comment

Think I'll save for some AP's
                Full Carbon Fibre (everything!), GSXR K1 Forks, SP1 4 pot Nissins - EBC Pads, Renthal Soft Grips, Vans Top Triple/Tail Risers/Return Spring and Seat, Symtec TRE, Larger Airbox, Ducati 999 Air Filters, DB Screen, Goodridge F&R, Fork Sliders, Race Rearsets, Projector Headlight, LED indicators and Rear Light, HRC Rear Reservoir, Dark Chrome Tank, PCIII, Ghosts Dealer Mode Switch, Full M4, GSXR600 Nissin Rear Caliper, Lightened and repositioned Exhaust Hangers, Lightened Rear Caliper Carrier

Comment

I still say that the best setup I ever had was my hayabusa forks, with hayabusa calipers, galfer lines, galfer rotors and the galfer white pads.

I am going back to the white pads on my radial setup in the spring. If it isn't the solution, I'm going back to the six pot conventional route.

I'm not so thrilled with the radial setup so far.
                  sigpic

BBOTM January 2011

Comment

Originally posted by apex hunter View Post
                    Think I'll save for some AP's
                    Wise man!

A genuine reason to go for radial is that conventional stuff is harder to come by. New narrowband discs from AP or PFM are not being made any more as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                    X