Suspension settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension settings

I have a 1998 TLS and I was wondering what settings I should run. I just changed the fork oil last night and put new seals in cause the old seals were leaking bad. I only retreived about 16 oz between the two shocks. refilled both with 16.5oz each and slid the tubes up about 5mm. the rear settings feel solid but the front feels a little sketchy in the turns, especially with a bump here and there. I weigh 220lbs if thats any help too. thanks.
    1998 TLS
    Lower fairing kit, +MOD, TRE, PCIII, D&D Full System, K&N, Airbox MOD, HIDS 8K, Gunmetal powdercoated rims, Atomic Orange paint.

Re: Suspension settings

On my '97 the stock fork springs were way too soft. The fluid height is critical, as the amount of remaining trapped air makes the progressive spring that resists bottoming out.

I'd strongly recommend Race Tech springs and Race Tech Gold Valves. Makes a huge improvement.

Whatever you do, DON'T put in heavier oil.
    It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

Anyone else's settings are going to suck. You need your own settings. Best bet is to have a reputable tuned give you a nice baseline, then you can make small adjustments from there. If you are in central Maryland I would suggest Kenny at MRP. Link to his shop is in my Sig. If not, post up where you are and someone might know of someone near you.
      Mike Rock
      NESBA #506 '98 TLR
      American cycle performance MRP motorsports

Comment

Ive not used a quantity to fill forks, I use the measurement from the top. That way they're the same and the airgap is the same in each leg.

Here's some reading on setting your suspension >> http://wotid.com/tls/component/optio...,17/Itemid,36/
        "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

oops... about the heavier weight oil, I did a 60% fill of 5w and a 40% fill of 10w. I just thought that going a little heavier would be ok since im a little on the heavy side. as i did this on my 900rr. should I empty it out an refill with 5w then, and go from there? Geez...lol...talk to me about motors and ill be right there with you but dealing with suspension....blah...lol. but advice is always welcome.... Im kind of budgeted so springs and valves are out of the question until my kid gets out of college and the other 5 go through lol.....BTW im in Hawaii.
          1998 TLS
          Lower fairing kit, +MOD, TRE, PCIII, D&D Full System, K&N, Airbox MOD, HIDS 8K, Gunmetal powdercoated rims, Atomic Orange paint.

Comment

60/40 5w/10W isn't too bad.I have the Motul fork oil blend chart here >> http://wotid.com/pictures/displayimage.php?pos=-1636

Suzuki L01 / 5W = 15.5mm/s @ 40C

Your blend = 23.5mm/s @ 40C (if you used motul fluid )

10W = 53.9mm/s @ 40C....

Ohlins #10 is 22
            White power #5 is 23
            etc etc
            "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

Nice write ups on suspension settings Steve, on your page, very useful.
              ? may seem like a daft question but what do you unscrew to drain the fork oil, or do you have to take the forks out and turn them upside down. not done them before but want to change the oil, i dont think its been done in 11 years i know ill check the manual i downloaded. lol
              if its not broken MOD it

Comment

Originally posted by petro-rr View Post
                I have a 1998 TLS and I was wondering what settings I should run. I just changed the fork oil last night and put new seals in cause the old seals were leaking bad. I only retreived about 16 oz between the two shocks. refilled both with 16.5oz each and slid the tubes up about 5mm. the rear settings feel solid but the front feels a little sketchy in the turns, especially with a bump here and there. I weigh 220lbs if thats any help too. thanks.
                I set mine up according to the following site, but I weigh the same as the guy who did the testing. A bike magazine came up with near identical settings. It's only a benchmark but made a big difference to my bike. Next I'll set the bike up like on Steve's website, but they'll only be small differences.

http://micapeak.com/TL1000S/faq/p3.html#Q25

Have fun,

Harry
                1999 TL1000SX, K & N air filter, SATRE, chopped rear guard, small indicators, Two Bros. cans, Oxford heated grips, steering damper mod (5W oil), "+" mod, charge mod, SOAS oil-filled mod, Pilot Road 2s.

Comment

Well, that's all good for the "S" owners, where's the one for the "R"? lol please.

Comment

yeah, i saw that site... this might be a dumb question but when they say 4 lines showing... which 4 lines, the actual engraves lines or is the space between the lines being considered a line?
                    1998 TLS

Comment

Originally posted by petro-rr View Post
                      yeah, i saw that site... this might be a dumb question but when they say 4 lines showing... which 4 lines, the actual engraves lines or is the space between the lines being considered a line?
                      Don't use someone elses preload setting to set your sag. Read the articles and set your sag properly to suit you.

If you're just going to copy someone elses settings, you might as well leave them where they are now

Comment

Originally posted by Steve TLS View Post
                        Don't use someone elses preload setting to set your sag. Read the articles and set your sag properly to suit you.

If you're just going to copy someone elses settings, you might as well leave them where they are now
                        +1 and the rebound and compression settings are dependant on preload. The more reload you have the more rebound you need to keep the bike in check.
                        Mike Rock
                        NESBA #506 '98 TLR
                        American cycle performance MRP motorsports

Comment

Im not trying to 'use' someone elses settings, just trying to find a baseline and adjust from there... I just set preload at 3 lines, 1.5 turns on compression and 2 turns on rebound. Ill see how it feels tomorrow on the way to work. thanks for the advice guys.
                          1998 TLS

Comment

Any suggestions we can make aren't very useful for a couple of reasons:

1. everyone has their own 'feel' they like

2. 7-12 year old suspensions don't do their job anymore.

First order of biz is to get a rear shock, fork springs and fresh oil. The valves in the TLR forks are good enough, but the fork springs are too light, I don't care if you weigh 90 lbs.

go here(www.traxxion.com) and ask for Dan. He will help you figure out what exactly you need.
                            TL1000R: For those who like to drive high speed tanks

Comment

Working...
                            X