Sprocket/Chain - What's good enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprocket/Chain - What's good enough?

Today my 2000 TL1000R will finally arrive! Quick history though, she's going to be my first bike. Having said that I won't have my permit until Nov. 1st, so I figure while she's sitting in the garage I can clean her up and replace whatever might need to be replaced (18k miles). I know the chain/sprockets need to be replaced so I've been looking around for a set. I'm looking for "Cheap" but not cheaply made, namely just a good deal.

For $100 I can grab a set of stock sprockets and chain (530), the tensile strength is 9,000 lbs. By reading the forums seen some approach 16k, which makes my 9k so small. So I guess the question is - do I need anything better then that? Being my first bike I don't want to make it faster then it already is, it's already twice the bike that I originally planned. I've read all about the 520 conversion, read about changing the sprocket setup while I'm at it. But really, my first bike and I've already got enough troubles trying to make my wife believe I won't drive it like my old Mustang. So again, is 9k lbs tensile strength enough? The link is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...#ht_1860wt_939

Just don't buy them out! Thanks

Re: Sprocket/Chain - What's good enough?

Welcome & good luck!! Hell of a first 'bike
    People I will not deal with: tl1000swill or tlrwill or crazywheelie or whatever it decides to call himself.

Comment

For the about the same amount of money, Speedking can hook you up with the 520 kit or do you a good deal on some genuine brands.
      http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81788

I have tried some of the cheaper options in the past and over the lifetime of the bike you probably end up paying more.
      I got 18,000km from my stock chain and sprockets, and have done nearly 30k on the top of the line stuff I have on now.
      With some of the cheaper chains and sprockets I have used in the past, you would be lucky to get 15,000.

If you are planning on keeping the bike and/or are paying someone to fit the chain for you, it will work out cheaper to shell out for good gear now. (you can even play with sprocket sizing later when you feel more comfortable on the bike, front ones are chap and easy to change yourself)

BTW start planning how to hide all the modding costs from your wife now! oh and it helps to call them "safety upgrades". That worked for me for the first year.

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo View Post
        Welcome & good luck!! Hell of a first 'bike
        Ditto. Not a bike I would recommend being a first on, but once you get the hang of it, you'll love it. It's a heavy torquey beast, be aware. Have fun!

Comment

Welcome to the TL family.

Comment

No wheelies!

Comment

Were the valve clearances checked at 15K? If not, it might pay to check them while you're waiting.
              "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

I haven't checked them yet, as you said, worth checking since it'll be a little while before I actually ride it. I don't know what all has been done before so I figured I'd just go through the manual and do all the maintenance goodies. No reason to just let it sit there only to have something go wrong and have it in the garage when I could actually be riding it. Has anyone successfully used a motorcycle dolly? The car has 3 inches on either side of it when I park both in the garage (I've only got one other parking spot which is where the other car sits...) I just went and bought one last night, http://www.discountramps.com/pit-vip...ycle-dolly.htm. $130 to move it around in my garage is well worth it to me.

While I'm asking questions, it looks like my bike has three tones of blues, darkest on the front cowling and tank, medium on the fairing, and lightest on the lower fairing that wraps underneath. Is that stock? Or someone replacing parts.. It's not really important since the bike will still run, but after I'm on it for a year or so I might invest in a new set of plastics. I appreciate the welcomes!

Comment

It your first wuestion didn't get anwwered, I find these to last and not be outrageously expensive:
                  D.I.D. ZVM 530 chain.
                  AFAM sprockets, hard anodized aluminujm rear and steel front.
                  It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

Working...
                  X