Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the Length?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whats the Length?

    Afternoon all,

    Would anyone know what the length of the front bolts that hold the exhaust to the main block please.(Thread length)

    I have order them from my local dealer but they are at least a week away they said and i'd like to know for this weekend.

    cheers
    Thats the great thing about forums, for the 10% of useful information you have to have the 90% of shit that goes with it...

  • #2
    Re: Whats the Length?

    Send TLZ member The Ring-in (Stu) a pm...

    He sells stainless studs, and copper nuts.

    Its a better alternative that won't get stuck in.
    ************************************************** **************************************************

    My bike mod list - Click here

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Whats the Length?

      Cheers chris, will do. I don't want to use the bolts just need to know the length for drilling out.

      One owner in the past though he would snap one off and fuck the other head up so both can't be undone.

      i've got a couple left handed drill bits to see if they'll pop them out.(dont want to use easy outs just yet,if they snap your fucked!
      and can't weld to as ones flush and the other still has the allen head on it.
      Thats the great thing about forums, for the 10% of useful information you have to have the 90% of shit that goes with it...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Whats the Length?

        Originally posted by dento33 View Post
        Cheers chris, will do. I don't want to use the bolts just need to know the length for drilling out.

        One owner in the past though he would snap one off and fuck the other head up so both can't be undone.

        i've got a couple left handed drill bits to see if they'll pop them out.(dont want to use easy outs just yet,if they snap your fucked!
        and can't weld to as ones flush and the other still has the allen head on it.
        you could still find a good welder. He will weld a but on the allen head, remove it. Then remove the exhaust, and weld a nut to the broken one if possible.
        Mike Rock
        NESBA #506 '98 TLR
        American cycle performance MRP motorsports

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Whats the Length?

          Drilling is a last case option for most as if you are only slightly off, it will cross up and run into the head instead of down the bolt.
          Mike Rock
          NESBA #506 '98 TLR
          American cycle performance MRP motorsports

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Whats the Length?

            EDM is the most accurate and safest, but they might want you to remove the head.

            You can get the stainless stud and brass nuts shipped from McMaster-Carr online.
            It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Whats the Length?

              You can get the stainless stud and brass nuts shipped from McMaster-Carr online.
              the ones I make are from stainless threaded rod and they are long enough for you to screw them all the way in and trim them to length after its all assembled. for some reason the holes are all over the place depth wise.

              The nuts I make are 13mm long so they have a much better thread length to diameter ratio . they are also finish tapped with a solid carbide tap so they are accurately sized and finished. comes with stainless washers and spring washers.

              They are great value for the effort involved but not cheap eh!
              www.cycleinnovations.com.au

              It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
              But then I don't know all that much about TL's

              wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Whats the Length?

                Just out of curiosity Stu, how much are your sets?
                ************************************************** **************************************************

                My bike mod list - Click here

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Whats the Length?

                  studs are always the best way to go i know from building race motors on car motors i studed everything that was possible better for tear downs and down have to worry about wearing the holes out with threads or tearing out threads from over thighing them

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Whats the Length?

                    how much are your sets?
                    $20au per pair +post

                    2 SS studs
                    2SS washers
                    2 SS spring washers
                    2 13mmlong brass nuts

                    when you do the rear on an S you have to cut one nut and stud a little shorter to clear the frame .
                    www.cycleinnovations.com.au

                    It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
                    But then I don't know all that much about TL's

                    wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Whats the Length?

                      Originally posted by The Ring-In View Post
                      the ones I make are from stainless threaded rod and they are long enough for you to screw them all the way in and trim them to length after its all assembled. for some reason the holes are all over the place depth wise.

                      The nuts I make are 13mm long so they have a much better thread length to diameter ratio . they are also finish tapped with a solid carbide tap so they are accurately sized and finished. comes with stainless washers and spring washers.

                      They are great value for the effort involved but not cheap eh!
                      I will be putting an order in!

                      i think if i cut the head off the the unbroken one (do you think!?) get the header out of the way, it could be welded..maybe even the broken one,just?

                      Spoke to a coulpe of mobile welders all who didn't want to do the job
                      (alot of setting up for a coulpe of nuts they said, well thats the job i said..sorry )

                      Problem is i don't know anyone with a welder or it would be alot easier!
                      Thats the great thing about forums, for the 10% of useful information you have to have the 90% of shit that goes with it...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Whats the Length?

                        Are you taking the head off?

                        If you are my brother lives in Gosport and is a weapons engineer for the RN.

                        I could ask him to get it out for you.... No probs.
                        ************************************************** **************************************************

                        My bike mod list - Click here

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Whats the Length?

                          Yes, like ring-in says a longer brass nut is a very good thing.
                          It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Whats the Length?

                            Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            Are you taking the head off?

                            If you are my brother lives in Gosport and is a weapons engineer for the RN.

                            I could ask him to get it out for you.... No probs.
                            Thats very good of you Chris, I wasn't going to take the block off..

                            just take the front off with the bike on the rear stand (strapped to it) and a trolly jack under the engine to get her to a better height.

                            That way i can still start her after the welding to get some heat into it?
                            Thats the great thing about forums, for the 10% of useful information you have to have the 90% of shit that goes with it...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Whats the Length?

                              Just a thought but if i have the nut/nuts welded on and the engine is in the bike all plugged in...do i have to undo anything? ..will the current from the welder blow anything?

                              oh and what would he clip the negitive lead to..engine or frame or fuel tank?

                              ...That last one was a joke, my bad!

                              Sorry if thats a stupid question but if i hadn't asked and fucked my ecu or something like that up i would of felt even worse!
                              Thats the great thing about forums, for the 10% of useful information you have to have the 90% of shit that goes with it...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X