Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I"m going to send this to the scrap yard soon!! HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I"m going to send this to the scrap yard soon!! HELP!

First off thanks for reading my thread. This may be fairly long winded so please bear with me and please please help!!

About 2 months ago I noticed a small seep of oil on my clutch cover. I took the bike to my friend (a harley mechanic I know my 1st wrong). He said it should be a pretty easy job to remove the cover and replace the gasket. He took the gasket off and realize that there was a bolt broken on the cover and the previous owner had used form a gasket to get a seal. He scraped all of the $hit off and put the new gasket in but was unable to get a seal as the bolt was broken. He took everything apart and removed the broken bolt from the case with a easy out and a drill press.

This time when he went to put it all back together we decided to use the form a gasket as opposed to waiting the week for the gasket to come in. At the same time he noticed that the radiator was empty (odd because I put 2000 miles on it before realizing the radiator was empty and when I explained what happened to me the day I bought the bike we decided that I had blown the head gasket 2000 miles ago.) before I had explained what happened the day I bought the bike he filled the radiator and ran the bike causing all the anti freeze to leak in to the oil.

So drain it all out again.

Again change the oil and re do the form a gasket as he felt that the increased pressure from the anti freeze would cause it to push the form a gasket out when the anti freeze leaked in to the oil. Again however this does not stop my oil leak....

Call the local "bike dealership" they said to start over with a fresh gasket.....

So today we put in the new gasket....it seated fine. We started the bike and let it run for a few minutes and it seemed fine. However a few minutes later we have oil leaking out of THE BOLT HOLES on the top.....

I'm ready to go crazy. My bike has been laid up for almost 8 weeks now and I can't even get a damn oil leak to stop let alone get it to Maine to my brother for a engine tear down this winter.

So I guess I'm looking for some advice...

Why would the oil leak out of the bolts?? The gasket is before the bolts if memory serves me correct

Has anyone every heard of someone running a TL for that many miles with no coolant? Never had it over heat and took several 200+ mile trips with it...

Please help me stop this damn oil leak!!!!

Re: I"m going to send this to the scrap yard soon!! HELP!

The OEM clutch cover is plastic and warps VERY easily when not torqued PERFECTLY to spec and torque order in the service manual. Additionally if you have a 97 clutch cover, the geniuses at Suzuki put the gasket locator tab INSIDE the gasket ring (pointing toward the oil) so the gasket channel fills up with oil easily compounding the problem if you have an improperly torqued (or permanently warped) clutch cover.

Also, the 97 clutch cover didn't have "T" shaped bushings, so the torqued bolts didn't spread that torque over as much of the cover.

ALSO, the bushings can be taken down a VERY slight bit on a lathe to get and even tighter seal. VERY VERY little... too much and your screwed.

Yes, ALL of those things combine for a hell of a mess trying to get your clutch cover to seal properly.

At BARE MINIMUM I would look for a 98+ cover (it will bolt right up) and a NEW 98+ gasket. (that cover should have the "T" bushings)

Install it and torque it PROPERLY and in the RIGHT ORDER and you will have the best chance possible at a non-leaking OEM clutch cover. I used a SMALL bit of blue RTV sealant on mine as well... use VERY little though.

Alternatively (but pricey) is to get a Van's clear clutch cover (made from billet) it will NOT warp easy and will bolt right up and you will never have to worry about another leak again. They look ace too (look at the right most pic in my signature). Worth every cent.
    Last edited by GhostMAFIA; 10-30-2010, 06:08 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

You probably have a '97 cover.

If it is a '97 cover, just throw it out and get any other cover; it's really not worth the trouble messig with and the problem can re-occur. The '97 has an O-ring seal with a smaller cross-section and also, worse, like he said, the real problem is that it doesn't have any raised shoulder on the bolt-hole inserts and they are too long and press loose. It relied on the shoulder of the stock bolts against the plastic, which doesn't work. If you tighten too much or use aftermarket bolts that don't have large shoulders it presses the sleeves loose in the cover's bolt holes. And the plastic compresses. The result is that the bolt-hole sleeves prevent the cover from sealing permanently, and the cover slides on and off over the sleeves and bolts, and the O-ring doesn't handle enough gap. In the end the too-long sleeves prevent the compressed plastic cover from sealing and it can leak anywhere, especially all over your rear tire. Even if the plastic doesn't compress much it might dimple just a bit at the bolt head, then it's useless. It's not worth putting labor into fixing a '97 cover when a new or used late-model of aftermarket cover is available. All other covers work acceptably well, just not the '97. I highly revcommend Van's aftermarket billet covers.

Always make sure you use the correct O-ring seal as they still sell the crappy '97 parts, and like I said they are different. Don't use any damn sealant. Some people had problems because they used he early seal in the late-model cover or vice-versa.
      Last edited by cyclecamper; 10-30-2010, 06:31 PM.
      It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

i had the same problem i ended up buying a new later case problem solved money well spent ...

Comment

i have 2000 model and had problems with clutch leaking and the person before me warped the cover but not use torque on it so i just got a new one and did it right and no leaks also i had a problem with coolent coming up missing and in to the oil and it was the freeze plugs in the head not a blowed head gasket so look at the 4 freeze plugs in the head before taking apart the motor i got new freeze plugs for O'riellys auto parts store

Comment

I have a used Rifleman 98+ cover for less than a new one from Van if $$ is tight pm me for pics and a price...CW
            age is a state of mind
            sigpic [IMG]
            ZG dble bbl, ss lines 6pots,Pazzo shorties ROCK!, Penske rear shock Lindman re-worked forks,custom (by me) dual HID Xenon Hi/Lo projectors Ultra-Violet halo's, LED sigs & plate lights, E G hugger,P M cyclone wheels, Rifleman 1/5 throttle,Van's Billet CCC, Galfer wavies, 6spring clutch Van's mod II Clutch plate, PCIII, speedo healer, and more...

Comment

Go ahead ill come get it this weekend for scrap price. Dirty aluminum is going for $.15 a pound. And that's top dollar. So $75 for hole bike. I'm on the way. Did I mention they dock 5 for each tire. Lol
              Ill leave in the morning!

Comment

Originally posted by CWBethel View Post
                I have a used Rifleman 98+ cover for less than a new one from Van if $$ is tight pm me for pics and a price...CW
                If money is an issue, take CWBethel up on his offer... Rifleman only used 98+ covers and with a new 98+ gasket and the other tips we gave you, this will fix your problem... and you'll have a clear cover too.
                sigpic

Comment

Yo E,

Go with the clear cover from CWB and buy a new gasket; torque the bolts down as recommended - problem solved. And you will have added a bit 'o bling to that 97!

J

Comment

Working...
                  X