dead battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dead battery?

Ok so something weird happened? I purchased some turn signals for the front of my bike. Well I think I might have wired them wrong? As soon as I had them wired up they worked but the bike wouldn't start? I was pushing the starter and it was just clicking. So i unplugged the lights and the battery was dying? The headlight was very dim. It has been working fine so far until I hooked up the markers. Also buy of a noob question, is the ground the solid black wire or the black with the stripe? I have the battery hooked up to the charger. So well see if that helps? Any ideas what happened?

Re: dead battery?

The ground wire throughout the system is BLACK w/WHITE tracer.

Even if you had the turn signals connected wrong, I don't see them draining the battery so quickly. You may have other issues. Once you get the battery charged, let us know how it acts.
    January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

Ok, so I charged the battery on my slow charger for about 3 1/2 hours and I wired up the turn signals correctly. And it fired right up! Now I'm not sure why the battery died so quickly? But like I said I had been riding it and it had power fine? Maybe I had the power on too long while I kept on testing the signals? I guess I'm just going to have to ride it around a little and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Mine did the same thing when I was testing my signals while installing the new ones. All should be fine.

Comment

While you have it running, make sure it is charging properly.
          January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

unless it replicates the same problems, i wouldnt worry about it..

Cheers mate

Comment

battery test is pretty simple and takes less time than to kit up...better to know...
              age is a state of mind
              sigpic [IMG]
              ZG dble bbl, ss lines 6pots,Pazzo shorties ROCK!, Penske rear shock Lindman re-worked forks,custom (by me) dual HID Xenon Hi/Lo projectors Ultra-Violet halo's, LED sigs & plate lights, E G hugger,P M cyclone wheels, Rifleman 1/5 throttle,Van's Billet CCC, Galfer wavies, 6spring clutch Van's mod II Clutch plate, PCIII, speedo healer, and more...

Comment

Originally posted by CWBethel View Post
                battery test is pretty simple and takes less time than to kit up...better to know...
                How do you go about the battery test? I really don't think its the battery due to how fast it charged. But it could be? It's been raining so I haven't had a minute to ride it yet.

Comment

How long did you have the ignition on without the engine running while you were installing the indicators?

They're only small capacity batteries. I'd only expect 20 - 30 minutes tops out of a well used one before it couldn't start the bike but was still good enough to leave in service.
                  "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

Mine is doing the same thing. Seems to be good for about two days on a full charge but slowly de-charges as I continue to ride. Can't really see the idiot light display when the brights or signals are on and headlights seem to get dimmer over time. Did I forget to hook up a certain wire when putting in the new battery? Never had this issue before...

Comment

my tlr is doin the same thing. i got a new battery and its still do it. i have to charge the battery ever week or two.

Comment

TL's are picky, they dont like trying to charge a battery. Best thing to do is add a battery tender wiring harness, you can run them wherever is easy access, when you get home plug her in.....Even if you have enough charge to start the bike, if the battery is down, it wont charge back up, and eventually youll get stranded. (from experience)

Comment

Moto - With you being in Cbus and I'm just outside of Dayton, we need to hook up for a ride here around the covered bridge / curve country near Darke County Ohio.

Let me know if you're interested.

Comment

Sounds to me like tha last two are voltage regulator issues... my old TL had the same problem.. would ride for a day or so then it would die.. o too would notice the headlights slowly dimming. after I changed out the voltage regulator it was good.. also check you have a good ground..

Comment

Definitely! Im in centerville all the time!

Comment

Working...
                              X