Trades and values.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trades and values.

Well. I wanted a TLR for about the last 10 years. I finally have one and im disappointed that it spends more time with the tank up and the plastics off on a stand in my garage then it does on the street. And now again its having issues so Im thinking about getting rid of it.

My question is this. I was thinking of posting a ad on CL for a possible trade. What do you think is a fair trade for a TLR? 01-03 GSXR? 98 'Busa? Those are just two im interested in. Also what do you suppose a bike like mine is worth? 99, 32k, all stock short of Vans risers and a BMC filter, Eastern Beaver h4 harness and a couple of PIAAs. honestly it needs a rear tire, chain and sprockets. There was the time it went down but it was all superficial and the parts were all replaced that were damaged, has ebay front fairings now.

Re: Trades and values.

Whatever those issues are....get them worked out....nothing like a Tiller!

Comment

Originally posted by tlgossett View Post
      Whatever those issues are....get them worked out....nothing like a Tiller!
      +1

Comment

Can't help you much; it's worth what you can get. Follow eBay for a month and see what prices they end for; that's about the best prices you can get; subtract the eBay and Paypal fees. The fact it's almost stock will help it sell. Trades are a hassle and it's much harder to find the perfect trade. The TL is not as popular as a GSXR or Busa, and a bit harder to sell or trade. It's a specialty taste. It's much easier to find a TL buyer and a Busa seller without requiring both be the same guy! Traders are usually guys like you, frustrated with their current bike and with no love for it, so the bike you get isn't likely to be that loveable. A trade probably won't even save on taxes or fees in most states where it is still seen as a sale when you want to register it. The TL doesn't really seem to have more problems than anthing else and you already know the state of your bike. Why trade for someone else's unknown problems? Is it worth the hassle to trade, transfer plates and insurance, etc. instead of just putting on a tire, chain, and sprockets, if that's all you need to ride for a few years? Get another, and it might need more? Might not, but tires and chains and sprockets and battery are consumables you should replace for a good baseline every time you buy a bike anyway.
        It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

I can tell you that they are not selling for what they are worth.

Comment

I bought my girl back in may. She was stripped to prep for paint. Not wrecked. Not cleaned either. We have had our ups and downs. I finely got her worked out. But sometimes she shows she's still a bitch. Anyway I could of put back to gather and drove home. Totally stock I gave $1500 for her. I have been watching ebay looking for another bike and tl rarely get over 3k. I'm looking at buying a 04 gsxr1000 it needs plastic. Would you be interested in it as a trade?

Comment

I bought mine early this spring, got about 4 rides out of it with some hassles, finally had to put it in shop. I was ready to sell it due to frustration, but once all was fixed, I love it. The only way I'll part with it is if I get in great need of cash.

Get it fixed and you'll be ok.

Comment

ALL TL's are a love hate relationship....some can cost more than you want to pay but i have found the resourses here a god send...fix it
                age is a state of mind
                sigpic [IMG]
                ZG dble bbl, ss lines 6pots,Pazzo shorties ROCK!, Penske rear shock Lindman re-worked forks,custom (by me) dual HID Xenon Hi/Lo projectors Ultra-Violet halo's, LED sigs & plate lights, E G hugger,P M cyclone wheels, Rifleman 1/5 throttle,Van's Billet CCC, Galfer wavies, 6spring clutch Van's mod II Clutch plate, PCIII, speedo healer, and more...

Comment

Prices are prob lower in your area where the riding season is shorter. Down here, I followed TL sales all summer and you had to dish out about 3500 for a bile in your condition.

Comment

The market in the US is still shit, so matter where you live, it is still a buyer's market for sure. I just picked up mine for $2,000 .....although its clean title and clean fairings, it does need some work. I think if you are lucky, you might get $3,000 to the right buyer.
                    My TLR sounds better than your POS Honda Civic

Comment

Think yourselves lucky, I paid $10,000 for mine and that was a good deal. He wanted $12,500. A new Busa will set you back $19,500+ on road costs, so its all relative.
                      All part of living in the lucky country, the land down under.

Comment

Yeh, some have their issues, but most of them are cheap & easy to fix if you have the time & a bit of mechanical know how.

What issues has it got?
                        :

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                          Yeh, some have their issues, but most of them are cheap & easy to fix if you have the time & a bit of mechanical know how.

What issues has it got?
                          simple tune up stuff. needs: front/rear sprockets, chain, clutch rod seal, front tire, plugs, filter etc
                          My TLR sounds better than your POS Honda Civic

Comment

You are going to have the same issues no matter what you get! Similar year bikes ALL need maintenance and ALL have very similar issues.

Question: which bike can you fix/ maintain the cheapest?

I have been upset at the TLR many many times. Thoughts of selling, trading or burning the bike have all entered my head.

With a TL there is a big enough community that you can fix it yourself. Its not always fun but at least you have help!
                            email me: [email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/chucks.net

My Parts and Service Business

My Site

The TL1000 Section and my mods

Free ECU Mapping Here

TL FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by chucks_net View Post
                              With a TL there is a big enough community that you can fix it yourself. Its not always fun but at least you have help!
                              Right on chuck

Comment

Working...
                              X