Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has fitting expensive wheels put your insurance up ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has fitting expensive wheels put your insurance up ?

magnesium and carbon fibre wheels are the business but how much has it really cost you.
    Carbon fibre wheels are very high on my list off thing's to do.

But What are the pro's and con's ?

OHLINS Rear Shock , Revalved front forks , Rear sets , Braking wave disc's front and rear , Hypro spring , Six pot ZX750R Caliper's , Bendix race pads ,GSX-R1000 front master cycinder , Charging mod , Plus Mod to coils , S-TRE , Modified Air Box , Pair Valve removed , K&N air filter , Powercomander 2 with USB conversion , Scorpion titanium cans , Carbon fibire front mudgard , Carbon fiber rear Hugger , Shorty Leaver's , LED rear light unit , HID conversion in Head Light , REV Light, DIGI gear inicator , blade Screen , Garmin ZUMO 500 sat nav , OHLINS stearing damper with HARRIS fitting Kit , HARRIS screen brace , And soon to be fitted polished ALLOY Gap mod , WISH LIST,,,, CARBON BST WHEELS .HOPEFULLY NOT JUST A DREAM.
    THE BEST VALUE FOR MONEY SUPER BIKE EVER.
    AND MORE FUN THAN MOST PEOPLES UNDER PANT'S CAN HANDLE.
    sigpic

Re: Has fitting expensive wheels put your insurance up ?

You and me both!! BST Carbons
    People I will not deal with: tl1000swill or tlrwill or crazywheelie or whatever it decides to call himself.

Comment

You should declare them as additional 'extras' on your policy & pay a difference in premium accordingly - otherwise you run the risk of not being compensated should bike be wrecked or stolen

Comment

i have a accessories add on to my policy for about $20 a year covers up to 5000 on chrome and other add ons as in all after market parts

Comment

I was really lucky my ex-wife added the max 'acccessories' coverage on my bike before my accident and the subequent theft of my TLS w/ Dymag cf wheels. She always expected me to die on the bike and planned to collect from every kind of policy she could get.

The rims are very strong in the directions that count. The Dymag salesman had a front wheel without tire, and he owuld let people throw it to the ground as hard as they could to see if it would bounce and to prove it didn't crack from hitting bad bumps. They are much stronger than cast aluminum, and much much stronger than cast magnesium. Also stiffer, with better feedback and control. But the difference in maneuverability, from reduced gyroscopic effect, was really great. I could correct my line twice in a turn where I was previously pre-committed. Plenty stable, they didn't seem to over-compensate and go into slappers as easily. Big improvement in suspension and traction too. Slight improvement if inertial dyno numbers, and really did spool up and slow down a bit easier/quicker.

The edges of the rims stick out a bit with the Dymags. Use only good non-contact machines for changing tires. And be careful using the wheel vise of a "Handy" brand lift. The CF is directional, and though the rims are very strong, if you aqueeze the two sides toegher with the wheel vise, they stick out a bit more than most and you will break the wheel before you squeeze the tire enough to hold the bike up. Of course it depends on the the tire and brand of wheel, but just be aware that you don't want to squeeze the CF rims.

When I cracked up the TLS, the (front wheel) 3 CF spokes shattered into a billion pieces. The rims still had full integrity and held air to the tires. Rims and tires were embedded between the splayed discs. The newer 5-spoke designs have stronger spokes. I'm pretty impressed w/ BST. The Dymags were nice because you could buy different hubs and use the same wheels on a variety of bikes. But I don't know whether they ven support that feature anymore.
          It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclecamper View Post
            I was really lucky my ex-wife added the max 'acccessories' coverage on my bike before my accident and the subequent theft of my TLS w/ Dymag cf wheels. She always expected me to die on the bike and planned to collect from every kind of policy she could get.

The rims are very strong in the directions that count. The Dymag salesman had a front wheel without tire, and he owuld let people throw it to the ground as hard as they could to see if it would bounce and to prove it didn't crack from hitting bad bumps. They are much stronger than cast aluminum, and much much stronger than cast magnesium. Also stiffer, with better feedback and control. But the difference in maneuverability, from reduced gyroscopic effect, was really great. I could correct my line twice in a turn where I was previously pre-committed. Plenty stable, they didn't seem to over-compensate and go into slappers as easily. Big improvement in suspension and traction too. Slight improvement if inertial dyno numbers, and really did spool up and slow down a bit easier/quicker.

The edges of the rims stick out a bit with the Dymags. Use only good non-contact machines for changing tires. And be careful using the wheel vise of a "Handy" brand lift. The CF is directional, and though the rims are very strong, if you aqueeze the two sides toegher with the wheel vise, they stick out a bit more than most and you will break the wheel before you squeeze the tire enough to hold the bike up. Of course it depends on the the tire and brand of wheel, but just be aware that you don't want to squeeze the CF rims.

When I cracked up the TLS, the (front wheel) 3 CF spokes shattered into a billion pieces. The rims still had full integrity and held air to the tires. Rims and tires were embedded between the splayed discs. The newer 5-spoke designs have stronger spokes. I'm pretty impressed w/ BST. The Dymags were nice because you could buy different hubs and use the same wheels on a variety of bikes. But I don't know whether they ven support that feature anymore.
            SO what would be the best way to break the bond with tyre and rim? when changing tyres and how did you crack up the rim? thanks i need as much info on carbon wheels as possible.
            Regards Kenny
            Last edited by widowmakerv2; 11-09-2010, 05:39 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Most bead breakers do not contact the rim. The good Coats machines have rollers against the tire and don't touch the rim except to anchor the wheel.
              It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

Working...
              X