Fork Rebuild Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Rebuild Questions

Well I got my bike back together today after a good clean, service and full M4 exhaust install (What a difference!!), and went for a hard ride to see if everything was in order.
    I got back and me f#$*ing right fork seal is leaking
    I know this will sound bad but as this is the first problem I've ever had with the front end, It's the first time the fork oil will be changed in it's 10 year life
    Now that this has reared its ugly head, I was thinking of putting Race Tech valves in and new oil etc. I have no idea what to do with forks and never pulled any apart before, but I'm very good at reverse engineering, I'm mechanical inclined and have TLPlanet for the how to instructions
    My question's are

1. Should I replace the springs
    2. Whats the average cost to do it myself
    3. Whats the average cost for a shop to do it
    4. Would I be better off getting different forks as a cost comparison
    5. Have you any other suggestions instead

Thanks for any input, chuck it on my tab

..BBOTM Sep'11: TLOTM March '12..
    .Click For Mods : Click For Road Trip.

Re: Fork Rebuild Questions

well be ready to buy some special tools or make them so u can get everything apart i just went to do mine and they are not like all the other forks i have done make sure and look in shop manual on tear down and buy good seals

Comment

I paid at the suspension shop US $600 for a full rebuilt, all Suzuki parts with gold racetech valves and 1.0 racetech springs.
      If U over 200 lbs just buy mine for half and be done with it
      (SEE FOR SALE SECTION)

Comment

Thats a good price, Not sure if Vans TLS top triple will fit on it though.
        Not to mention I'm a mere 172 lbs.
        will probably borrow tools from the shop, by OEM seals and there is plenty of info on removing and dismantling on here.
        I would rather a professional do it but if they charge any more than my left arm, I will do it myself.
        The reason I'm asking on here is because the price to do anything, usually doubles here in NZ. For instance I was quoted $900 for a set of Viper bolt on cans, $120 for a Clutch worm drive and even $3000 for OEM full exhaust.
        I just don't want to get ripped off, so any ideas welcome

Comment

the suzuki shop i use has a guy that went a special school for suspension so lucked out he done mine for $180

Comment

If you are taking them apart, change the valves and match the springs to your weight.

Taking them apart to change the seals is 90% of the labor involved to do everything. The springs would be nothing extra, besides the part cost and the dropping the valves in might be an hours labor at worst.

If you want newer forks/radials, stock is still shit and need to be rebuilt.
            Vanzuki.com - Click the banner below, to see what I have for your bike.

Comment

my advice is to look on ebay US and buy a set of gsxr600/750 forks and calipers and a hayabusa axle

Sam will sell you the shim kit.

I bought some forks for $145 us thats just a bit dearer than 1 gold valve!

they work right away. and its a simple swap.

600/750 are longer than the 1000 which are a better fit for an R
              www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
              But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

Try either Shaun at motodynamix or CKTechnical [crown kiwi ] was talking to Robert Taylor a couple of weeks ago he has 3 options basic to a full upgrade ,like you say prices very are up there but these guys have all the gear .

Comment

I'll do some rigorous price checking tomorrow and see what I come up with.(why does this $hit always happen on a weekend)
                  Like Van said stock is stock, regardless what they come off. And still need to be rebuilt.
                  Now all I need is my shotgun, my balaclava and my loot bag, then I'm good to go

Comment

The stock early TLS fork valving sucks. Whatever you do, you will probably appreciate the improvement. The '97 were the worst, I never owned your year. The Gold Valves and stiffer springs (light oil) do make the stock forks work well. But as ring-in says, if you sell yours you can get an upgrade for cheap, and perhaps upgrade to radial brakes at the same time. They made those GSXR forks in such high volume the parts are for sale all over, even radial calipers are cheap. I've always put Gold Valves in my TLS or TLR, and the forks worked great. But I kind of wish I'd upgraded the forks first, then redone the valving too!

I made my own spring compressor tool, then bought a real one. I made my own castellated cartridge tool from a piece of pipe. I made my own slotted-steep plate to hold the spring down while working the cap and locknut, then bought the real one. I made my own seal-drivers,m then bought the real one. I guess I wish I'd just have bought the real ones in the first place. I never did buy the cartridge holder, because I just stopped in at the Race-Tech shop and they opened the cartridges for me for free...he siad that instead of heat on the threads they tap the end with a hammer then tap the tube radially at the very end by the threads to break the loctite free, then it comes apart easily. Just don't slip and ding the soft thin aluminum cartridge body or you will have to replace it...just tapping at the ends.
                    It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

Originally posted by bill v View Post
                      CKTechnical [crown kiwi ] was talking to Robert Taylor .
                      I wouldn't send that pompous clown anything.
                      If he screws the job up as he did with my $2000 Ohlins it is highly likely he will not fix it.
                      In my case,after he sent a defective unit (that he built) I had to pay to have it sent for repair here in Australia.
                      The valving was also miles out (Both adjusters need to be backed right off to even remotely work)
                      Even asking for simple set up was ignored.

I will send it to Steve Cramer (who fixed it last time) for revalving when I get time.
                      Not even an apology... be warned.
                      49 Sunbeam S7 deluxe - 57 Triumph TR6 Trophy- 68 Husqvarna MF250 Cross-68 Husqvarna MF360 Viking-71 Norton Commando Fastback-73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado-73 Kawasaki H2A 750-73 Ducati 750 GT-74 Kawasaki H2B 750-74 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail-74 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail -74 Norton Commando Roadster-77 Ducati 900 SD-81 Ducati 900 SD-86 Husqvarna 400 WR-98 Suzuki TL1000S-98 Suzuki TL1000S-07 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S-08 Suzuki DR780

Comment

He comes across as a good guy but I've never bought anything off him as yet ,on kiwibiker he can really get going at times giving and receiving some back .

Comment

I've not used Robert Taylor @ Crown Kiwi Technical for anything useful other than a giggle when reading the bs political views on kb.

We also have Mr. Harris @ Moto Dynamix (who now has a working relationship with C.K.T.) I would use him to buy the ohlins gear if you decide to use that brand. Ring him and he'll look after you.

I use Ray Clee who installed and services my W.P. front end.

These two have proven results both nationally and internationally.

There are probably others around the country somewhere but I don't know who they are.

Comment

Yes, I undestand it is possible to put an entire Ohlins cartridge inside some Tl forks.
                            It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

Hmmm, after a few hours on the phone and net, I talked myself into getting a full rebuild and upgrade from Robert Taylor at Crown Kiwi Technical. Thanks for the heads up (wish I had seen that this morning) but their in the post as we speak
                              Hopefully I will be extremely happy with job when I get them back and have no issues on the road later on. Thats what the consumer guarantees act is for anyway, but I'm confident they'll get it right. Allthough..... they are from New Plymouth

Comment

Working...
                              X