Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to look at an '03 R...what to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to look at an '03 R...what to look for?

I am going to look at a 2003 R. The bike is all original except it has Scorpion cans on it. Odo shows 11k miles and is true. This bike is at a Suzuki dealer and has been through service. The only thing that needed attention was the brakes needed to be bleed. I am deciding right now between the R and SV1K at this point.

What are the things you recommend I look at and pay close attention to?

Re: Going to look at an '03 R...what to look for?

Just wondering what the dealer is asking for it? When you go, take a camera with you and take pics for us! It's easier for us to criticize...um I mean, easier for us to spot things that you might not see!
    If you love your bike let it go.
    If it comes back to you.............
    You high sided.

Comment

Here are the pictures they have on their website if that helps any. I won't see it in person till the middle of the week. The dealer has two locations in the area and a service writer from the other location wants the bike but has to sell his R6 first. They are listing it for WAY too much......to me at least-$5999. I will never pay that for it. From these pictures it looks to still be all stock down to the warning stickers and the rotory rear shock (will go buh-by!). I feel this may be a nice example and adult owned.

Last edited by modular; 11-07-2010, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Well it's got the scorpion slip-ons and the factory hump so that nice. I'd pull the hump and see if someone has installed a PCII or PCIII on it. Factory undertail so the rear wiring more than likely isn't hacked up yet! Just look for normal wear and tear things: chain and sprockets on their last legs, brake pads dead. If the brakes feel spongy or soft. If it doesn't feel right to you, it might not be. Minus the motor ticking louder that most, just don't let someone stand there and say, "oh, thats just how those are..." Other than that, whatever you're comfortable paying for her, she looks like a good example...just remember to look around for other ones, could be better deals just around the corner. Good luck Chris
        If you love your bike let it go.
        If it comes back to you.............
        You high sided.

Comment

Excellent year. Nice bike. Way to much money. Still, a lot of fun even at that price, those are very low miles.
          It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

They probably gave someone ~$3500 on a trade in....I would give them $4400 max for it.

good luck

Comment

Ask for previous owner's receipts and record of service. A good owner will keep records.

Give it a ride and see that it shifts smoothly. Notchy shifts may be a sign of a wheelie bike.

Listen for the dreaded rod-knock.

Look for hacked parts/wiring, HK fairings, orange-peel paint, bent brakets, or anything that doesn not look like it belongs. The bike is 7 years old. All prts should look 7 years old, or they are trying to hide something.

If it all checks out, offer $5K out the door. If they don't budge, give your phone number and go home. They will call.

It's worth it to pay a little more for a bike in good condition. I paid $6K for mine. It was in near-perfect condition. I am glad I didn't cheap out and get one of the other hacked TL's I was looking at. It saved a lot of headaches.
              You do not talk about Fight Club....

Comment

For comparison purposes, I just picked up an 01, showroom condition, bone stock (I mean disgustingly BONE stock), 1,906 total original miles, $4k cash. Just an example to let over-eager TL buyers know that sometimes patience does have better results than being hasty with the wallet.

That is a fantastic year. It looks spotless. Slip-ons are useless, sound alright at best. I would whittle them down to their very bottom dollar. And then, pull out and wait to see what happens. These bikes tend to sit in dealerships quite a while. Let it sit, I say. They'll sell it cheap when they want it gone.

Comment

bought a 99 Tiller last summer it was laid down bent fork tube all stock but a bmc filter 12,800 miles $3500.00 probably could've worn him down but it' a great bike have had no problems. best of luck. Lowball the stealership they'll come around sales is getting them out the door.

Comment

Supercharged said it best....yeah it's nice to get a low price....but at sametime like he said....it is nice to get a bike that is mint too....hard to get best of both worlds....I personally would rather pay a higher price, within reason, and have a bike in that condition then save $1000 and spend the next year or two trying to make it look that good and still spending that $1000 or even more anyway and not to mention the time involved IF you could even make it look that good....trying to find this part and that part....unless you are going to buy one and hack it up yourself by 'customizing it' ......if thats the case then buy the cheapest one you can regardless of looks and then do your thing to it.....if you want a nice looking bike w/ stock paint....spend the extra money and get onto enjoying it.....I have never ever regretted spending extra coin to buy what I want.....buying cheap is different then buying at a fair price....and that is what you want for both you the buyer and the seller.....I am in car sales and that is one thing I teach people all the time.....now don't get me wrong I love getting a steal of a price, who doesn't...but if you read any sales book they always say, and it has been proven throught surveys of buyers, that those who pay more are in the long run a happier owner/buyer.....those that end up getting a steal of a price USUALLY don't even know they did and end up fu*king you on your 'after the sale/owner survey' cause they usually are never happy.....I didn't believe it when I read that over and over again but being in auto sales for 10 years now it is SOOOOOOO true!

The key to the price of anything is something is only worth (true market value) is what the buyer is willing to pay for it! That is what market value is......what it's worth to YOU! And most people will never admit what they really paid for something and I have found no matter what you pay for something and no matter how great that price may be....your neighbor always got it cheaper then you did and with better features or options.....HA! And if you find a bike YOU like at a price YOU'RE are happy with.....and trust me everyone one of us whats the deal of a lifetime......then buy it, you won't regret spending a little more for what YOU want and will appreciate spending a little more knowing you got 'the one'....and didn't watch 'the one' go down the street being riden by someone else that did see the value in paying a little more for it!

Now go buy the thing and tell us how much you smiled to yourself in your helmet on the way home!

Comment

crazy thats the best comment about buying i have seen yet!(oh and still loving your avatar!!!)
                      Mod's to bike so far: Projector HID lights (blue halo's),Vandriver parts (CCC,red PP,red clutch cup,brake F&B cups, Blue top triple, Blue front sprocket cover), Aprilia Brembo Wheels,520 sprocket & chain conversion( to suite the Aprilia wheels),charging mod, headlight realy mod, bitubo rear shock, custom black with heavy blue pearl paint, fold away billet levers

Comment

ahhhhhhh thank you and ummmm thank you

Comment

nice bike but it is getting COLD out. 4000-4800 tops. Offer 4G when they say no give them your # they will call. Good luck,clean TL are out there. stick with the TLR, the SV sucks just my 2 cents

Comment

That is so true Crazy, I have an '02 R, paid $6200 for it, it had 7200 miles on the speedo, wud do it all over again the same way!!!! Good Luck Bro!!!!
                            sigpic"Nothing in the world can take the place of detirmination. Talent will not. Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not. The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and detirmination alone are omnipotent."
                            "Valentino Rossi"

Comment

I paid 1k for mine .. but it had some road rash and 40k miles.. But im not complaining..

Comment

Working...
                              X