Houston We Have A Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston We Have A Problem

Hey guys, as some of you might know I recently started a project rebuilding a 1997 TLS. When I got the bike it had a weird knock, so I decided i should pull things apart to try and diagnose the problem. I found that the cam tension-er gear assembly on the front was just hammered so that needed to be replaced. Today, as I was about to start reinstalling the newer parts and I noticed something weird. The front piston appeared to have been kissing the cylinder head. I removed the rest of the cylinder and.... Oh my, there was about a quarter of an inch play in the piston. Removed the pistons and rods and realized the bearings were almost completely chewed apart.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I am in the process of cracking apart the case and seeing what other damage may have occurred and try to see why something like this would have happened.

This is looking down into the motor. anyone else see the pretty flakes?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    If anyone has any connecting rod assembly's laying around or a crankshaft set, please let me know!

Re: Houston We Have A Problem

http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81151
    www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
    But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

I'm not sure yet if resizing will be an option. if you look at the pictures you can see where the crank has gotten so hot it turned black. in the crank itself, the groves from the bearings being almost non existent are very substantial. the rods have gotten so hot they warped. I'm thinking I might have to just change it all out.

anyone have a crank set or Rod's laying around?

oregon.

Comment

the person who did that needs a smack in the ear

Originally posted by OregonTL View Post
        I'm not sure yet if resizing will be an option.
        email Kendall and talk to him about repairing your crank back to factory size limits

Originally posted by OregonTL View Post
        anyone have a crank set or Rod's laying around?
        try this link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...item5884e11db1
        Last edited by Patch11; 11-08-2010, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Hey Oregon, off subject, but where you at specifically? I live in North off Lombard.

Comment

The '97 crank is only fed oil from one end, whereas the others are fed oil from both ends. I understand there's some way to correct this, but you'd have to ask Sam for the details. Might be that the crank is drilled but not the case on one side I can't remember, never had my '97 apart and my TLRs all were fed from both ends.

The '97 also had the smaller early oil pump...the new larger one is a drop-in retrofit and now you need a new one anyway.

Stock bearings don't accomodate much grinding of the journals, Suzuki would have you buy a new crank. But if you have it welded up and reground, you can have it reground with new journal centers and end up with a stroker crank, or exchange your crank on a kit from Kendall.

And if you use SV1000 rods and SV1000 bearings they have a bit more area (width) and fit the standard TL crank journal...better rods and better bearings.

SV1000 crank can be used, if you can't find a TL crank. It has main journals that are grooved so the oil flows thru the main to the throw all the time instead of intermittently when the holes line up. If you use a TL crank again, consider having its main journals grooved like the SV crank.
            It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

i would look for a newer case...(98-newer) i built 97 had crank modified and still only got 12000 miles out of the engine before big end issues...just my .02
              age is a state of mind
              sigpic [IMG]
              ZG dble bbl, ss lines 6pots,Pazzo shorties ROCK!, Penske rear shock Lindman re-worked forks,custom (by me) dual HID Xenon Hi/Lo projectors Ultra-Violet halo's, LED sigs & plate lights, E G hugger,P M cyclone wheels, Rifleman 1/5 throttle,Van's Billet CCC, Galfer wavies, 6spring clutch Van's mod II Clutch plate, PCIII, speedo healer, and more...

Comment

an sv crank seems like it would be a good idea. cw's idea of upgrading the case sounds like the best idea. not sure where to even start looking for one of those though.
                oh, and I'm over in beaverton.

Oregon

Comment

pm Van a.k.a. Jim he had a motor for sale for USD$650- which included some of his billet parts.

Would make sense buying that off him and use yours for spares.

Comment

Working...
                  X