PC III, a little dissappointed !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC III, a little dissappointed !

Last Thursday got the PC3 fitted with a custom map. The bike didn't get a run before install so I dont know what the figures were beforehand.

PC3 = $270 US
    BMC = $76 US
    Post = $40 US
    PC fitting + custom map + $560AU

Not whinging but almost 1,000 bucks down & I cant feel the difference !
    Attached Files

Re: PC III, a little dissappointed !

You have a few extra horses top-end it seems but most of all the power is more linear overall. There is usually a dip in power around 4k I believe, it all looks smoothed out nicely.
    It should all be a lot smoother than stock performance for sure. Maybe some after market full exhaust system will help you with noticing the difference in experience but then if you want to do it right, you need to have it tuned again....
    sigpic
    Motorcycle Suspension
    Suspension Setup
    PM me for a hump saver safety cable

Comment

The torque curve is all over the place? Did they make a map for each cilinder? Usually they show a before and after graph at the dyno centre to show the difference, I wonder why they didn't..

Comment

Whatchaexpect? If you were looking for dragstrip performance increases you might have opted for a NOs or a big bore kit.

The PC3 is a fuel management device which offers subtle gains in performance while improving air fuel mixture demands across the rev range.

I'm sure if you went to the track and ran with and without you would notice a considerable difference. Street riding and all it's inherent distractions and inconsistencies will prevent you from "sensing" the performance gains, however.
        .sigpic
        "Use the present, create the future" -Pablo.

Comment

If you want/feel the need to get it done all over again then fit some lambda sensor blanks to the downpipes then "they" can map each cylinder.

I had a custom-map done by a race-shop to my pc3 and even tho' it pissed down all the way home I could still feel the difference My pc2 was good but the 3 is much much better
          People I will not deal with: tl1000swill or tlrwill or crazywheelie or whatever it decides to call himself.

Comment

Mark can you elaborate on what the sensors are and how do they fit to the downpipes. ?
            if its not broken MOD it

Comment

Phil, you've heard of most modern cars having lambda sensors fitted to the exhaust system yes?

On the down-pipes of a bike (one per cylnder) a hole is drilled and a blanking "nut" is welded (stainless steel) over the hole and then a blanking plug/bolt is fitted. Then when the bike goes for a custom map the tuner takes the plug out of the blank and fits a lambda sensor......... if it's a I-4 then this has to be done individually for each cylinder.

In other words the tuner "maps" cylinder 1 then starts all over again with cylinder 2 and so on 'til all 4 are done therefore each cylinder is individually custom-mapped getting the best out of each. We all know V-twins and in particular the TL engines, each cylinder runs differently........... I think (don't quote me ) the rear cylinder on the TL runs richer? Certainly runs hotter. So if the engine is custom mapped on a v-twin one cylinder will not be running at it's optimum.

You can get the blanks & plugs off e-gay, not that expensive. The downside to having this done is it takes longer and it's more expensive.......... the shop I use said an I-4 fitted with sensors can take up to the best part of a whole day........... especially if it's a track/race 'bike. They reckon a v-twin can typically take on average about 4 to 4.5 hours.

I'm hoping those that really know what they're talking about, like Sam etc can either correct me or say that's just about right
              People I will not deal with: tl1000swill or tlrwill or crazywheelie or whatever it decides to call himself.

Comment

I agree that it should be noticable anyway. Throttle pickup, torque, fuel consumption.. it should just run a little smoother. Unless there's something wrong with tappet clearance a sensor or tb synchronisation.

Afaik the rear TL cylinder is a little warmer and because of that the ignition map is slightly different? Should be in the manual somewhere..

Edit: 4-13 in the service manual
                Last edited by Loki-TLR; 11-14-2010, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I would of put the money into a full exhaust system first, those stock headers will be costing you 5-8bhp and muting any mapping improvements.
                  sigpic
                  TLS for Supercharged.....................

TLOTM Nov 04, Bitchin' Bike Contest July 07, July 2010

PM Me for Help & Prices with GSXR/Busa Radial Fork Conversion Kits

Comment

I didn't think there was an awful lot of diff' in sizes of bores between OEM and say M4?

Comment

Sam what size is the bore on your M4 on the silver race bike?
                      ************************************************** **************************************************

My bike mod list - Click here

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        Sam what size is the bore on your M4 on the silver race bike?
                        M4 OD's are 43-50-54mm

Stock is 45mm start to finish
                        sigpic
                        TLS for Supercharged.....................

TLOTM Nov 04, Bitchin' Bike Contest July 07, July 2010

PM Me for Help & Prices with GSXR/Busa Radial Fork Conversion Kits

Comment

Have nyou done the airbox mod and I agree on full system I just put on a full yosh and feel a significant difference plus yoshboxed my ECU,airbox mod charge mod new batt etc

Comment

I got my PCIII before I put the full M4 kit on and used the map off their disk.
                            Made a big difference in power delivery, lost the stumbles all together and it felt brand new again.
                            Then I got the M4 system, ran the "full Yoshi exhaust with aftermarket filter" map and she runs beautiful. Still no stumbles, no back firing and no jerky slow cornering. I'm totally impressed and didn't spend money on a custom tune. Plus I have Matt the hat's TRE but not entirely sure if thats making any difference anymore with the PCIII installed

..BBOTM Sep'11: TLOTM March '12..
                            .Click For Mods : Click For Road Trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Hrdmanongear View Post
                              I got my PCIII before I put the full M4 kit on and used the map off their disk.
                              Made a big difference in power delivery, lost the stumbles all together and it felt brand new again.
                              Then I got the M4 system, ran the "full Yoshi exhaust with aftermarket filter" map and she runs beautiful. Still no stumbles, no back firing and no jerky slow cornering. I'm totally impressed and didn't spend money on a custom tune. Plus I have Matt the hat's TRE but not entirely sure if thats making any difference anymore with the PCIII installed
                              From my understanding the TRE is still needed. You could probably yank it off and see if you were really motivated

Comment

Working...
                              X