How to get more power from my TL1000R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get more power from my TL1000R

I have a Yoshi RS3 System on it, I have removed the Rev Limiter. Other than dumping tons of money into it. Any other mods I can do?

Re: How to get more power from my TL1000R

Is that a full exhaust system or just cans? You may want to look into Power Commander III, and K&N air filters....That is about all I know of off the top of my head, but I am still learning about the TLR and TLS as well.....

Other than that there are a couple of Big Bore kits out, but I think they are more for racing, but I may be wrong....

I know some of the more experience guys will chime in soon.....

Good luck

Comment

airbox mod
      + mod
      charge mod
      sv1000 coils
      pc2 or 3
      TRE
      1/5th throttle insert
      K&N airfilter
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dmanley74 View Post
        I have a Yoshi RS3 System on it, I have removed the Rev Limiter. Other than dumping tons of money into it. Any other mods I can do?
        Depends on how much power you want. If you want 200 HP, and your not as able as sam, sell it and buy the new BMW. If you want 130 HP, and one hell of a fun bike its very possible.

Why did you remove the rev limiter? It has been found that over revving these bikes causes catastrophic.damage.
        Mike Rock
        NESBA #506 '98 TLR
        American cycle performance MRP motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey75702 View Post
          Depends on how much power you want. If you want 200 HP, and your not as able as sam, sell it and buy the new BMW. If you want 130 HP, and one hell of a fun bike its very possible.

Why did you remove the rev limiter? It has been found that over revving these bikes causes catastrophic.damage.

Parting out TL1000R & S. PM me for parts!!

Comment

Never remove the limiter. Bad things happen when you do. Throttle bodys sync tps adjusted correctly. If you have a full yosh system you should already have a PC or the ecu flashed. Sprockets? I saw some where a bout removing secseor gears in the head let it rev quicker. I don't know if it helps or not.
            1140 big bore kit !!!!
            Sparkystlr +1
            Mikey75702 is dead on+2!!!!!!!!!
            Last edited by mudduck9; 11-15-2010, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Truth is, without opening the motor and spending a lot of money, you're not going to get a lot more power. A full system will net you 5-8 HP at best, and you'll spend $1000 to get it. Not really money well spent at $200/HP me thinks. I'd just work at getting it well tuned. Set the TPS and balance the throttle bodies and make sure the pugs and wires are in good shape. Get a custom map for the fuel injection. The + mod is dyno proven to give a couple of HP for very little cash outlay and the bike will start and run better too. The airbox mod seemed to give low and midrange power a bit of a boost. Not huge, but noticeable. Forget the scissor gear removal unless you're racing it in earnest. It just makes the motor louder and accelerates wear. Change the sprockets to lower the gear ratio a bit and you'll find new joy in twisting the throttle too.

Do the above and I'll bet you'll think you've got a new bike. As someone already mentioned, if you want big numbers you may be better off with a new bike. On the other hand I don't reckon even the TL can be used safely to it's full potential on the street as it is.
              "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                Truth is, without opening the motor and spending a lot of money, you're not going to get a lot more power. A full system will net you 5-8 HP at best, and you'll spend $1000 to get it. Not really money well spent at $200/HP me thinks. I'd just work at getting it well tuned. Set the TPS and balance the throttle bodies and make sure the pugs and wires are in good shape. Get a custom map for the fuel injection. The + mod is dyno proven to give a couple of HP for very little cash outlay and the bike will start and run better too. The airbox mod seemed to give low and midrange power a bit of a boost. Not huge, but noticeable. Forget the scissor gear removal unless you're racing it in earnest. It just makes the motor louder and accelerates wear. Change the sprockets to lower the gear ratio a bit and you'll find new joy in twisting the throttle too.

Do the above and I'll bet you'll think you've got a new bike. As someone already mentioned, if you want big numbers you may be better off with a new bike. On the other hand I don't reckon even the TL can be used safely to it's full potential on the street as it is.

I have yet to be able to use mine to its full potential on the track. The bike is definitely not the limiting factor for most people. I wonder if thumpthump would agree as he has tracked his as well.
                Mike Rock
                NESBA #506 '98 TLR

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey75702 View Post
                  I have yet to be able to use mine to its full potential on the track. The bike is definitely not the limiting factor for most people. I wonder if thumpthump would agree as he has tracked his as well.
                  Agree 100% Mikey. The best horsepower is track time. When SV650's can kick your ass you know you have some work to do because horsepower is not the issue

Originally posted by dmanley74 View Post
                  Other than dumping tons of money into it. Any other mods I can do?
                  If you want more power, go the other way with the power to weight ratio, start dropping the bike and riders weight. Lighter aftermarket wheels, batteries, brakes, other light weight goodies, etc are a win win deal. Then there is the rider's beer belly.......
                  BBotM October 2010
                  BBotM June 2012

Comment

I have removed the Rev Limiter
                    replace it

it makes more power down lower. over revving it actually makes it go slower.
                    www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
                    But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ring-In View Post
                      replace it
                      I almost spit my drink out when I saw this. Blunt, to the point, and oh so correct.

Makes me think of threads on the wera forums when they talk about power and make jokes about the color of their power bands
                      Mike Rock
                      NESBA #506 '98 TLR

Comment

Originally posted by mudduck9 View Post
                        Never remove the limiter. Bad things happen when you do. Throttle bodys sync tps adjusted correctly. If you have a full yosh system you should already have a PC or the ecu flashed. Sprockets? I saw some where a bout removing secseor gears in the head let it rev quicker. I don't know if it helps or not.
                        1140 big bore kit !!!!
                        Sparkystlr +1
                        Mikey75702 is dead on+2!!!!!!!!!
                        Sparkystlr +++1

As for removing those gears in the head, I believe I read somewhere that it only lets it rev up faster in neutral.. under load it doesn't do anything. Maybe do a search on it prior to doing so, too much work... But with what Sparkystlr said, $500 should get you plenty of 'cheap' power. If you don't go the PCII/III route then get a Yosh box..

With a full system however.. makes me wonder what they already did. (That's assuming you bought it with the system... that's what I took away from your question) Sometimes you got those smart people that do the full system, tre, various mods and get it dyno'd/mapped. Other times you get the dumb people with money that buy the full system and get disappointed cause they stopped there and didn't see good enough gains. I'm still new to this bike and everything about it, but I usually find those dumb people no matter what vehicle is my current toy...

Comment

Originally posted by slhawkins View Post
                          Sparkystlr +++1

As for removing those gears in the head, I believe I read somewhere that it only lets it rev up faster in neutral.. under load it doesn't do anything. Maybe do a search on it prior to doing so, too much work... But with what Sparkystlr said, $500 should get you plenty of 'cheap' power. If you don't go the PCII/III route then get a Yosh box..

With a full system however.. makes me wonder what they already did. (That's assuming you bought it with the system... that's what I took away from your question) Sometimes you got those smart people that do the full system, tre, various mods and get it dyno'd/mapped. Other times you get the dumb people with money that buy the full system and get disappointed cause they stopped there and didn't see good enough gains. I'm still new to this bike and everything about it, but I usually find those dumb people no matter what vehicle is my current toy...
                          +++1
                          Like I sed I just recall seeing something about the gears.
                          I usually end up with some ones started but couldn't finish or screw up projects.
                          You should of seen all the crap started on this bike and not finished.
                          Some times I'd like to kick someone in the head. Lol
                          When I'm about to pull my hair out!!!!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by 97TLS Rider View Post
                            Other than that there are a couple of Big Bore kits out, but I think they are more for racing, but I may be wrong....
                            you are wrong but only in your thinking.

Yes, there are big bore kits out there. Yes you can build it for the track but also yes you can build it for the street. It all depends how you build it for your intended application.

It's not that hard to find the limits of the old pig. Screw buying a new bike they have no soul. Way more fun riding round the outside of someone on a 12yr old pig and then seeing the look on their face in the pits

Originally posted by slhawkins View Post
                            As for removing those gears in the head, I believe I read somewhere that it only lets it rev up faster in neutral.. under load it doesn't do anything.
                            Last edited by Patch11; 11-15-2010, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Just a couple searches...

Apparently removing them makes it loud... http://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki-...sor-gears.html

Someone says it's pretty much unnoticeable..http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...ncers-removal/

Informative... http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8720

I guess it depends on who you talk to with those scissor gears.

Comment

Working...
                              X