What replacement for TLR??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What replacement for TLR??

Daughters been riding my TLR for last 2 years. PCIII, Yosh cans, dry nitrous, -1 in front.

Note she could also ride my ZRX1200R but always opted for the TLR so I think she likes the V twin power characteristics.

Daughter is in marines now and asking me what bike she should buy as my TLR is too "old" and she wants a bike with her at permenant duty station. She's also done track days so will want a mount suitable for the street and track days.

the only V-twin option I can think of is a ducati but I hesitate to suggest she spend that much money on a bike.

ps. she's an excellent rider but not remotely mechanical.

suggestions anyone?

Re: What replacement for TLR??

Originally posted by oldryder1973 View Post
    Daughters been riding my TLR for last 2 years. PCIII, Yosh cans, dry nitrous, -1 in front.

Note she could also ride my ZRX1200R but always opted for the TLR so I think she likes the V twin power characteristics.

Daughter is in marines now and asking me what bike she should buy as my TLR is too "old" and she wants a bike with her at permenant duty station. She's also done track days so will want a mount suitable for the street and track days.

the only V-twin option I can think of is a ducati but I hesitate to suggest she spend that much money on a bike.

suggestions anyone?
    The new 848 is amazing. Rides beautifully, not that expensive and are supposed to have a limited maintenance need.
    Mike Rock
    NESBA #506 '98 TLR
    American cycle performance MRP motorsports

Comment

If what you said is truthful about the Tiller and it's mods, what the hell's wrong with that? And coming from a fellow Z-Rex owner, I'd rather scoot around on the TL too
      ......how old's your daughter by the way? Girls that can ride those bikes are pretty rare. Must have had a good upbringing!

Edit: And holy f-ing crap! Another Minnesooooota member! Sad thing is we're probably related
      Last edited by Pete; 11-17-2010, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldryder1973 View Post

suggestions anyone?

Where's her new duty station? Camp Pendleton is ok, California is amazing. But something she'll be welcomed to if she gets here will be splitting lanes.. It's legal here so most people just drive down the center line at a light/traffic. Might be a good heads up. At first I was never thought I'd do it.. But it's better than hearing tires squeal to a stop behind me

As far as the mechanical side, Lejeune and Pendleton both have an auto hobby shop. It's dirt cheap to rent a bay (Like $8/day or some crap). Being a father I wouldn't want to think about it this way... But I know some Marines at work that get other Marines to help them ALL the time with their vehicles due to being women... Besides, only way to learn is to begin working on it eventually!

I'd agree with you on spending all the money though. Just a little FYI before she buys, DON'T let her get a bike from a dealership within the vicinity of the base. Prices go through the roof here since Marine's are able to get a loan without much trouble at all.

Good Luck!!

P.S. If she goes to Pendleton, my buddy and I both own a TLR so we might be of some help...

Comment

Duc or aprilla.
          2001 TL1000R -Full Yosh Ti cans,bitubo shock,TRE,PC2,BMC filter,moto-style no cut sliders,joe v airbox,manual fan switch,16-40,speedo-healer,UFO,pedro gpi, corbin seat.

2001 DRZ400E - Yosh pipe, race-tech suspension, moose skidplate,msr rad. guards,acerbis handguards,cfc caseguards,mcct, JD jetting,renthal bars,acerbis hand guards.

Comment

Originally posted by TLPauly View Post
            Duc or aprilla.
            +1
            ----------------

01 TLR undergoing a make over!!( Mark told me to do it!)
            Aprilia SXV 4.5

Comment

+2
              www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
              But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

How about KTM RC8R, or is that too weird looking ?
                I hear thunder, but there's no rain!

Comment

Originally posted by antz View Post
                  How about KTM RC8R, or is that too weird looking ?
                  He said less expensive....... they aren't exactly cheap. That's the reason I suggested the 848, solid base, fairly inexpensive, highly customizable.
                  Mike Rock
                  NESBA #506 '98 TLR

Comment

Superduke ...

Where's old doug when you need him ....
                    ************************************************** **************************************************

My bike mod list - Click here

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey75702 View Post
                      He said less expensive....... they aren't exactly cheap. That's the reason I suggested the 848, solid base, fairly inexpensive, highly customizable.
                      Ok shure, KTM is not so expensive here as Aprilia or Ducatis..
                      I hear thunder, but there's no rain!

Comment

Originally posted by antz View Post
                        Ok shure, KTM is not so expensive here as Aprilia or Ducatis..
                        The aprilia is expensive, the big ducati are decent, but the s versions are super expensive.

Last time I checked the 848 was just under $10k. The base model 1198 was like $13k and most of the Japanese bikes were right around $10k depending on what size you want

I wanna say the sticker on the rc8 is something like $15k..... don't get me wrong, the people that own them rave about them, and they do come with some decent equipment.
                        Mike Rock
                        NESBA #506 '98 TLR

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey75702 View Post
                          The aprilia is expensive, the big ducati are decent, but the s versions are super expensive.

Last time I checked the 848 was just under $10k. The base model 1198 was like $13k and most of the Japanese bikes were right around $10k depending on what size you want

I wanna say the sticker on the rc8 is something like $15k..... don't get me wrong, the people that own them rave about them, and they do come with some decent equipment.
                          How tall is your daughter? If she is 6+...she may not enjoy the ducati. When I moved over to my Italian mistress...I felt that she fit me better than the TLR did(like a glove). However, I am a whoppin 5'8". The TLR always seemed to long of reach to the bars and too short from the seat to the pegs(even with adjustables). So if your daughter is tall and the TLR fits well...the duc may not be the bike for her. But if she is on the shorter end like I am...I almost guarantee that she will love the duc. The engine, suspension, brakes,etc are like magic....now if only I could find some more of that Italian koolaid

Comment

Is she fresh in the Marines? If so buying a 10k bike isn't going to be in her best interest. If she wants a cheaper V-Twin but newer style, why not look at an SV or even an RC51?
                            http://tl1000rmods.blogspot.com/

Comment

KTM, BMW, or 2009+ R1
                              You do not talk about Fight Club....

Comment

Working...
                              X