Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What replacement for TLR??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: What replacement for TLR??

    I would say sv650 with few nice parts would be cheap fun bike for a track.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: What replacement for TLR??

      Originally posted by evl tvn View Post
      I would say sv650 with few nice parts would be cheap fun bike for a track.
      Don't think there's a slipper clutch in SV650, might a bit tricky on the track?
      IMHO I think it's a downgrade from TLR
      Last edited by antz; 11-18-2010, 12:18 PM. Reason: typ-o
      I hear thunder, but there's no rain!

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: What replacement for TLR??

        Originally posted by Mikey75702 View Post
        The aprilia is expensive, the big ducati are decent, but the s versions are super expensive.

        Last time I checked the 848 was just under $10k. The base model 1198 was like $13k and most of the Japanese bikes were right around $10k depending on what size you want

        I wanna say the sticker on the rc8 is something like $15k..... don't get me wrong, the people that own them rave about them, and they do come with some decent equipment.
        You guys are so lucky with such cheap bikes... Here the the prices on jap bikes are usually arround $22k, Aprilias and Dukes arround $30k
        I hear thunder, but there's no rain!

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: What replacement for TLR??

          Originally posted by antz View Post
          Don't think there's a slipper clutch in SV650, might a bit tricky on the track?
          IMHO I think it's a downgrade from TLR
          There isn't a slipper clutch in the tl either. Unless you bought one of Sams or modded one to fit.

          And it being a down grade depends on your view. If you want to learn how to ride better it is an upgrade. If you want to learn how to point and squirt keep the TL. (of course you can keep great cornerspeed with the TL if you ride that way, but power tends to make people lazy)
          Mike Rock
          NESBA #506 '98 TLR
          American cycle performance MRP motorsports

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: What replacement for TLR??

            Originally posted by antz View Post
            How about KTM RC8R, or is that too weird looking ?
            RC8 =

            Very cool video. Check out the drift at 01:38 ... [email protected][email protected]

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SBQRQlww_E
            I'd rather be playing baseball.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: What replacement for TLR??

              Originally posted by Mikey75702 View Post
              There isn't a slipper clutch in the tl either. Unless you bought one of Sams or modded one to fit.

              And it being a down grade depends on your view. If you want to learn how to ride better it is an upgrade. If you want to learn how to point and squirt keep the TL. (of course you can keep great cornerspeed with the TL if you ride that way, but power tends to make people lazy)
              I meant the back torque limiter..
              I hear thunder, but there's no rain!

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: What replacement for TLR??

                i'd look at a aprilia rsvr or the factory

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: What replacement for TLR??

                  Everyone, thx for suggestions.

                  Answers to various questions:

                  Daughter is now 18, 5'7". taught her to ride 3 summers ago on a Ninja 250. Last year she graduated to the TLR and also took a trip to Yellowstone with her on FJR amd me on GL1500 with younger daughter. We also did DCTC 5 times plus 2 track days at BIR in 2009 and 1 this year (on SV650's) before she graduated and left for the marine corps.

                  she likes the SV but will definitely want more ponies for her street bike. The new Duc seems like a good option or maybe an RC51

                  I appreciate the advice re: avoiding the dealerships near the bases. Also nice to know some of the bases have a hobby garage; I doubt she's have any trouble finding someone willing to help her do maint work (the marines are only 6% female)

                  I made her promise not to go canyon racing if she ends up in CA or somewhere similar.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: What replacement for TLR??

                    Originally posted by oldryder1973 View Post
                    Everyone, thx for suggestions.

                    Answers to various questions:

                    Daughter is now 18, 5'7". taught her to ride 3 summers ago on a Ninja 250. Last year she graduated to the TLR and also took a trip to Yellowstone with her on FJR amd me on GL1500 with younger daughter. We also did DCTC 5 times plus 2 track days at BIR in 2009 and 1 this year (on SV650's) before she graduated and left for the marine corps.

                    she likes the SV but will definitely want more ponies for her street bike. The new Duc seems like a good option or maybe an RC51

                    I appreciate the advice re: avoiding the dealerships near the bases. Also nice to know some of the bases have a hobby garage; I doubt she's have any trouble finding someone willing to help her do maint work (the marines are only 6% female)

                    I made her promise not to go canyon racing if she ends up in CA or somewhere similar.
                    Sounds like a nice used 1098/1198 would be a great fit based on rider size and wants. Best money I have ever spent on a set of wheels!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: What replacement for TLR??

                      If she wants more ponies, the RC51 has less power overall. Rode up monte Cristo recently with 2 RC's and my R. After riding both RC's, though the overall handling was better up front, my R outmuscled them in every way. Both the R and the RC are very cool bikes to own however, IMHO.
                      I'd rather be playing baseball.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: What replacement for TLR??

                        Originally posted by HOBBES View Post
                        If she wants more ponies, the RC51 has less power overall. Rode up monte Cristo recently with 2 RC's and my R. After riding both RC's, though the overall handling was better up front, my R outmuscled them in every way. Both the R and the RC are very cool bikes to own however, IMHO.
                        That and the rc51 is a ton less comfortable then the tl. Only really tall people seem to think it is comfortable, but then you still have the radiators poking you in the knees.
                        Mike Rock
                        NESBA #506 '98 TLR
                        American cycle performance MRP motorsports

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          keep an eye out for a reasonable SV1000S and bolt on a 1088 kit. If you can read and hold a spanner the right way - it's not that hard of a mod.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: What replacement for TLR??

                            If it doesn't have to be a V-twin, GSXR750's are very underrated bikes, and a new or newer one would be virtually maintenance free. They also seem to be a bit cheaper used as everyone either wants the 600 or 1k.

                            As for the RC, Ryno has an SP2 for sale on here. I have a short friend (5' 6" in boots) that rides and races an SP2 and loves it. I've ridden an SP2 on the track, I don't think I could see myself on one for daily use (I'm 6' 4"), but it was a lot of fun on the track and I would consider owning one as a track only bike.
                            People not to buy from ...ckfrdrice...TeamDutch People that I have purchased things from that were great to deal with ...Vandriver, Sam, Ziggy999, TLMike, djkoenig, N2Wheelies, CalSportbike, ET79, S Winglet, Rifleman, Sully, Danny Never, h0ssman, The Ring-in. GhostMAFIA, Speedking...I know there's more...just can't remember everyone I've bought stuff from

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: What replacement for TLR??

                              Originally posted by actls View Post
                              As for the RC, Ryno has an SP2 for sale on here. I have a short friend (5' 6" in boots) that rides and races an SP2 and loves it. I've ridden an SP2 on the track, I don't think I could see myself on one for daily use (I'm 6' 4"), but it was a lot of fun on the track and I would consider owning one as a track only bike.
                              They are great for corners. They beg to be ridden hard. For cruising though I find them uncomfortable. But if you have a tlr, really no sense in dumping that for an rc...
                              Mike Rock
                              NESBA #506 '98 TLR
                              American cycle performance MRP motorsports

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X