TL track bike or RGV250 track bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TL track bike or RGV250 track bike

My current project is currently putting together / rebuilding a RGV250 in to a track bike. I originally got it as a track bike and maybe to race one day.

But since I converted to the TLR from the R1. Im thinking about ending the project short, possibly making some money on it.
    And get another TLR or TLS as a 100%track bike.

I got the RGV as it is fairly cheap to work on and a good learning tool ( my brain is mechanically minded but my hands are not)
    But im getting better - 5hrs to drink 6 stubbies and to change the front brake lines and all the pads.

So I would like to hear the pro's and cons of a TL track bike over my RGV.
    TLR
    35.29%
    TLS
    0.00%
    stick with my RGV 250
    64.71%
    2006 749 Ducati and a 1998 TLR-1000 track bike

I'd stick with the RGV for a while.

Several reasons, cheaper to repair. Knowledge, parts and expertise for set-up etc would be easier to come by, especially if you go proddie racing, a lot of people would have been there done that and would be able to help with more stuff compared to trying to set-up a TL.

It will also be better for teaching cornering skills as you'll have to always keep the engine on the boil and be aiming for maximum mid corner speed, that's something you can take to any bike once you've developed it on something and in a class where it is really important.

My $0.02c worth
    "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

or better yet....PM me with the condition and pics of the RGV and what you want for it and I will use it for a track bike....
      XLSR
      Xtreme Lean Sport Riders
      [email protected]
      www.NWminiMoto.com

Comment

Originally posted by SV996R
        or better yet....PM me with the condition and pics of the RGV and what you want for it and I will use it for a track bike....
        hey it's not for sale just yet,...where are you WA

Comment

I raced NSR's against RGV's and they are both very similar and very fast when set up right to the sports production specs. Small two strokes are easy to corner and easy to ride fast. I found them to be very crashable - meaning you didn't break soooo much stuff when you bite it - as opposed to the TLR that breaks lots of things when you bounce it.

It wouldn't be out of the question to have both. But since you already have the RGV rock on and break it a few times - two strokes are easy to work on too - and then change to the TLR at a later date.
          Jack DeAndrade
          Bad Karma Racing

Comment

AFM #715
            Suomy, Leo Vince Exhausts, Stompgrip, Sidi/Motonation, Lockhart Philips, Sonny Engineering, RK Racing Chains, AFAM

Comment

A buddy of mine has a Walter Wolfe RGV 500 Gamma and he considered the same. How can you part with a bike like that?? Keep the 250 Marshall
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...hug/Arnold.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Jack/Tokyo
                I found them to be very crashable - meaning you didn't break soooo much stuff when you bite it - as opposed to the TLR that breaks lots of things when you bounce it.
                I've got a huge penis, You've got a huge penis, even Tim over there, yup you guessed it, huge penis. Good, now that that's out of the way, let's go ride

Comment

dont know about breaking and bouncing tl's, but i love the two stroke bike. i always loved my 75 kawi H1. that and that it ws free to me. the guy said it was locked up. took her home, and realized she had a gp shift pattern from the factory, and had her running in about 2 days. it was a little ratty, but fun as hell. i would love to find a 250 2 stroke and make her my track whooooore. mmmm aprlia rs250.....

Comment

yep I am in Washington state... right near a foward air drop/ship point...
                    XLSR
                    Xtreme Lean Sport Riders
                    [email protected]
                    www.NWminiMoto.com

Comment

I have put my Tiller on the track a couple of times so I will put in my little bit too.

First off I would say if you do not run big circuts the the TLR is not going to be fun for you in the track. I t is like trying to ride a very large horse in a small coral, you can do it but it is not as fun a being out in the open. I have Ohlins rear (a necessaty but even more so on the track), and the front end is set up pretty good. It handled great and was stable as hell in the corners(people told me I was dam near draging the Hermit Dragon intakes on the ground). But musceling that big V-twin around the course is not nearly as fun as the smaller bikes. I was the only TLR there when I went so you are all alone for advice and any fellow racer support as was stated earlier. Even though I love my Tiller ans love to be agressive with it I did the prudent thing and bought a Gixxer 6 track bike to play with. It should be fun remebering where to shift going back and fourth between the two.
                      "We can't stop HERE, this is bat country." HST
                      Dead Horse Racing Tucson, Arizona
                      " You can't beat a dead horse "

Comment

who about this for a special: all prices are Australian

SAVE $2095!!!

MCRCWA members are being given the opportunity to purchase a 2002 RS125 at a special once-off race price of $6,900. This price is inclusive of GST, the current RRP is $8,995. The bike will be delivered, crated to your WA aprilia dealer or the club. It will not have factory warranty due to it's limitation for race use only. Direct inquiries through the club or contact [email protected]

Comment

Ride the RGV on the track. I used to ride a RS125 for track days and the are a blast, could only imagine a 250. It's incredible staying in a full tuck while passing a 600 in the braking zone or passing one in a turn. Smaller bikes teach you more about riding efficiently; staying tucked, cornering, braking, etc. Bigger isn't always better. Also, it really is best to have a dedicated bike for the track.
                          Common sense is not very common.

Comment

Originally posted by dgyver
                            Ride the RGV on the track. I used to ride a RS125 for track days and the are a blast, could only imagine a 250. It's incredible staying in a full tuck while passing a 600 in the braking zone or passing one in a turn. Smaller bikes teach you more about riding efficiently; staying tucked, cornering, braking, etc. Bigger isn't always better. Also, it really is best to have a dedicated bike for the track.
                            Totally agree it pisses the bike boys off, Im faster on the 250 then I was on my R1

Comment

I`d go with the TLR for the track!! RGV`s are very easy to ride and very forgiving on a track due to their light weigh and nimble handling and as steve said will give you corner speed skills, the thing that concerns me is the thing all you learn on the track could be your undoing on the road, which is where you do most of your riding. The RGV has great cornering abilities but does so differently to a 220kg 1000cc bike. Try and corner a TLR the way you do an RGV and it may get ugly. You can put alot more pressure on aN RGV front tire than you can a TLR. Personally i`d rather learn how to ride fast on the bike i ride most often. Sure an RGV is great fun on a track...just remember what your riding and where.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X