Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rupes
    replied
    You mean I wait to load two pages on dialup at work to see what someone could have possibly added to this conversation and thats it... grrrrrr

Leave a comment:

• crashtd
    replied
    infamous last words fabri

i'd say this topic pretty much beaten to death, lol

-

Leave a comment:

• Fabri-Tech
    replied
    Originally posted by crashtd
    uhhh....not to rain on anyone's parade, but somehow i don't think that's the way it work. One, i understand the ice cube analogy...but its a poor one, consider water when frozen actually takes up more space as opposed to when it is a liquid. Two, i believe the reason you experienced less power is because when the air is hotter, it is less dense. Thus there is fewer particles in a certain volume of air as ooppsed to when it is cold. This is why people use intercoolers to cool the air in their airbox, and thust create more power (especially when used with some sort of blowing system, tubro, supercharger, etc). This is also why people use a "cold air intake" system. I don't think it has to do with how excited the particles are...ultimately were not counting electrons here, more particles.

-

Leave a comment:

• GXRKLR
    replied
    I thought the point of NO2 was to look cool.
    j/k

Looks like you guys have covered it pretty good. There is nothing I can add to this.

Leave a comment:

• Screwloose
    replied
    jeeeeesus,,,,,,,,

Just crack open the throttle,,,and forget about all that science stuff

Leave a comment:

• Steve TLS
    replied
    The cooling effect is a definite benefit, but not the main one that gives the HP.

Leave a comment:

• Tbird
    replied
    Isn't it true that another benefit of nitrous oxide (although it doesn't help much on a NA motor) is that it cools the intake charge? I know that quite a few Lightnings & mustangs running blowers will run a very small (for a car) shot, like 55 or 100, not so much for the oxygen, as the blower is taking care of that, but because it helps counteract the high discharge temps from the supercharger. I think...

Leave a comment:

• Steve TLS
    replied
    Thought I'd better double check the nitros oxide operation, it in fact does split into nitrogen and oxygen at 585F. The gas itself is pretty inert until then.

http://www.automotivearticles.com/ge...e&articleid=60
    Nitrous oxide its self, does not burn, and must be split into its elements before it is useful, fortunately nitrous oxide breaks down at 565*F, and combustion temperature are much higher. Once in the combustion chamber, nitrous oxide splits into nitrogen and oxygen supplying more oxygen and allowing more fuel to be burnt efficiently.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed...ib/nitrous.htm
    Nitrous oxide is a colorless, non-flammable gas. It has a slightly sweet taste and odor. It is non-toxic and non-irritating and when inhaled in small quantitites can produce mild hysteria and giggling or laughter. This is were the nickname "laughing gas" comes form. When inhaled in pure form it will cause death by asphyxiation because at atmospheric temperatures and pressure, the oxygen in nitrous oxide is not available to the body.

A property of nitrous oxide is that at about 565 degrees F., it breaks down into nitrogen and oxygen. When it is introduced into the intake tract of an internal combustion engine, it is sucked into the combustion chamber and, on the compression stroke, when the charge air temperature reachs 565 deg., a very oxygen-rich mixture results. If we add extra fuel during nitrous oxide injection, the effect is like a super charger or increasing the compression ratio of the engine. Automotive nitrous systems work like the automotive eqivalent of a jet's "afterburner" and is used for short duration extra bursts of power.

Nitrous oxide has this effect because it has a higher percentage of oxygen content than does the air in the atmosphere. Nitrous has 36% oxygen by weight and the atmosphere has 23%. Additionally, nitrous oxide is 50% more dense than air at the same pressure. Thus, a cubic foot of nitrous oxide contains 2.3 times as much oxygen as a cubic foot of air. Just do a bit of math in your head and you can see if we substitute some nitrous oxide for some of the air going into an engine than add the appropriate amount of additional fuel, the engine is going to put out more power.

Leave a comment:

• crashtd
    replied
    Originally posted by MotoTiller
    I know that crash but I had that pic and needed to use it
    bastard!

-

Leave a comment:

• horkn
    replied
    yes but cooler fuel will not cause boiling. boiling fuel is a bad thing.

Leave a comment:

• MotoTiller
    replied
    Originally posted by crashtd
    MT, i don't think we were talking about fuel temp

-

I know that crash but I had that pic and needed to use it

Leave a comment:

• crashtd
    replied
    MT, i don't think we were talking about fuel temp

-

Leave a comment:

• MotoTiller
    replied
    Just a suggestion here, it works for me here in Texas where it gets a little warm
    here goes:
    Fill your tank up before your ride ( should be nearly empty anyways before you start ) Then ride it like it was meant to be ridden ( WOT ), pretty soon you will need more cool pump gas from the bigs tanks underground like uh where it is cooler.
    Repeat process as needed. Point here is the fuel should never have time to vaporize (?) in your tank.
    That's my suggestion for keeping your fuel cool, never let it warm up.
    Or you can try this

Leave a comment:

• Jack/Tokyo
    replied
    Fuji Speedway's straight:
    summer = 260+kph
    winter = 270+kph

I'm a lot colder in the winter (read: denser) and it hurts more when I crash !

Leave a comment:

• crashtd
    replied
    Originally posted by rupes
    Thats pretty cool.... Its funny when you think about it. Hydrogen is one of the most flammable gasses along with pure oxygen = boooom. But as water totally safe and inert. Perfect fuel if they could figure how to easilly seperate them
    actually you can easily seperate them, run an a cathode and and athode in them, process is called electroysis (sp?)

the one that's really gonna tickle your pickle, is table salt. Sodium and Chlorine. Two chemicals that will kill you if you eat them alone...but they form the salt you eat at dinner...go fig

-

Leave a comment:

Working...
X