smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoke

I have just noticed something that makes me nervous. I hadn't ridden my bike for a couple days and when I started it up, I had a fair amount of smoke coming from the exhaust. It went away after a couple minutes and it isn't there if the bike doesn't sit. Does this mean the oil is leaking past my rings? What can be done to fix this? Or is it not that big a deal, keep an eye on the oil level and I will be fine?
    '98 TLS with a yellow box and some not-that-new tires.

SE WI

Not that I have a clue why that is happening but, what color is the smoke? What does it smell like? How many miles on your bike?

Comment

Was it for sure smoke or possibly cool air meets warm air, cause I had that happen thursday morning and I started to freak until realized what was happening

Comment

i've had some incidents from smoke...couple things to keep in mind.

1) Have you used WD40 or any other lubricant recently. Half of my "oh shit! my bike is breaking" from smoke comments were do to me lubing the bike, and some of it getting on the mid-pipes or headers.

2) Like MT said, could it be steam. Or possibley just a cold morning start? These usually are noticable...since its usually cold out . A side note on this...it really should be its own number, but did you keep it outside. Morning dew down the exhaust pipe is possibley.

3) Along that note, Have you washed the bike recently? Water down the exhaust pipe again could be the cause.

4) Oil change. Hasn't happend to me on my last few changes, maybe cause i went to synthetic, but my bike used to smoke right after a change. Coulda been water again, or just the oil trying to get where it needed to still, and the bike "rubbing" a little.

in all these cases it was a white smoke. Which can be bad, but can also be just vapor or something. Check your coolant temp for sure.

if its black...you're fuxord, have that puppy looked at for sure.

just my thoughts and experience, hope it helps

-

Comment

Originally posted by crashtd
          These usually are noticable...since its usually cold out . A side note on this...it really should be its own number, but did you keep it outside. -
          Got me again you bastage, but it was like 78 or something close to that I didn't think it was cold out until I saw my breath, course that is cold for these parts.

Comment

I have 10,000 miles on the bike. It is a whitish colored smoke and it is coming out with force from the exhaust. It is not just coming up from the bike. I haven't noticed the temperature and I do think my bike had been sitting outside so I will try to pay more attention next time I start it about the conditions. Thanks for some of the ideas to look for.
            '98 TLS with a yellow box and some not-that-new tires.

SE WI

Comment

Re: smoke

Originally posted by TLSean
              I have just noticed something that makes me nervous. I hadn't ridden my bike for a couple days and when I started it up, I had a fair amount of smoke coming from the exhaust. It went away after a couple minutes and it isn't there if the bike doesn't sit. Does this mean the oil is leaking past my rings? What can be done to fix this? Or is it not that big a deal, keep an eye on the oil level and I will be fine?

If it isn't there if the bike doesn't sit, then it's most probably condensation in your pipes. Nothing to worry about.
              Ask not what TLP can do for you, but what you can do for TLP.

Comment

Try backing off from near redline in second gear and watch your mirrors to see if any smoke is coming out of it.

If you have worn valve guides more than usual amounts of oil can seep past them when the engine sits for a while, then when you start up it will burn the oil and show as smoke.

The high rpm back off test creates high vacuum in the inlet port to the butterfly, it also causes oil to be sucked down the inlet valve guides and you'll be able to see it burning.
                "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

You could also have too much oil in her and it spitting up in your air box. I keep mine no more that halfway up in the window but mine is a 97 so the window placement is a little different I think . There is a few drains on the aribox you can get to without removing the tank but if it was me I would remove the tank and take a look see
                  Everyone dies but not everyone lives

Comment

Working...
                  X