Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my first shipment of tires for my shop in today..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my first shipment of tires for my shop in today..

And I thought I'd share a few observations I had with you. I got some Dunlop D208's, some Metzler Rennsports, some D207's, and a set of Bridgestone BT010's.

The Metzlers were ordered for myself, and I am glad I did. These tires are noticably lighter than the others. I haven't actually weighed them, but there's a big difference in weight for sure that you can tell just by holding the 2 tires side by side. The Dunlops and Bridgestones are pretty much the same.

I always liked the Metzlers that came on my TLS stock, which is why I decided to give them a try on my TLR. I will run through the stock Dunlops on the R so it won't be anytime real soon before I can give a report on the Metzlers. Perhaps I'll have the BST rims to mount them on by then.

Have a great week guys!
    Your Friend in Sport,

Edwin

oooh...bst rims...seksi carbon fiber

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

CLICK HERE to donate a couple dollars/rubles/won/yen/euro/pounds/francs/etc to the greatest forum on the web!
    "Aerodynamics are for those who fail to make HORSEPOWER!"
    -Enzo Ferrari-

Comment

Please if you could get the weights of each of those tires. I am very interested.
      RIP Ron
      Sept. 12 2004

Comment

yes, the new m1 sportecs are lighter than the same size worn out bridgestone bt 56, worn out pirelli diablo, and worn out d208...impressive huh?

Comment

It is impressive horkn!

I didn't think it would be THAT much. Compared to the "new" Dunlops the Metzlers are WAAAAAY lighter. Unsprung mass....less is more.

I will try to get them weighed GXR, though it will probably be on a bathroom scale.

I also like the shape and profile of the Metzlers in comparison to the others. This is the first time I got to look at new skins side by side and be able to mess with them (unlike if I were in the local shop, but they usually don't have nothin but junk in stock anyway)

I am really looking forward to trying these Rennsports out. I will probably break down and mount them on my stock rims as I ain't the most patient person in the world. LOL! Thanks for the replies guys!

Oh, by the way, this is NOT an advertisement to sell tires. It costs too much to ship them. I just bring them in for local sales. I just wanted to share what I have found. Also: Metzler offers a "Race Replica" Rennsport, the Rennsport thread pattern on "street" compound rubber apart from the true "race" compound Rennsports. (Soft & Super Soft compound).
          Last edited by Edwin; 08-21-2003, 04:19 AM.
          Your Friend in Sport,

Edwin

Comment

Great news Edwin But......

and try to get the weights please
            TLOTM:
            May 2003
            August 2004

Comment

Here's what they look like (from Kneedraggers.com)

http://www.kneedraggers.com/index.ph...=42-METZRENNR4

The tires pictured are the "Race" compounds, but even though Kneedraggers don't offer them, these tires do come in a street compound as well. (the ones I got)

I dunno how to post pics yet! LOL!

And as promised, I will try to weigh the tires ASAP, though it'll be on a bathroom scale like I said. (Not the most accurate of measuring devices!)
              Your Friend in Sport,

Edwin

Comment

Unofficial Tire weights

Metzeler Rennsport Front (120/70ZR17): 8lbs. 6oz.

Metzeler Rennsport Rear (180/55ZR17): 12lbs. 9oz.

Dunlop D208 Front (120/70ZR17): 9lbs. 10oz.

Dunlop D208 Rear (180/55ZR17): 13lbs. 4 oz.

The Bridgestones I got was for a YZF600 so they were smaller (120/60ZR17 & 160/60ZR17) so I didn't bother to weigh them.

Like I said, these Metzelers FEEL lighter. The one pound difference in the front may not sound like much, but in terms of unsprung mass it's HUGE! I have been doing some research on rims looking for the best possible weight savings with durability, then I got to thinking about tire and rotor weights as well which is why I took this oppertunity to compare tires side by side. I dunno how much the Pirelli's weigh, but they would be the only other type of tire I'd wanna try. (I heard the Michelins take too long to heat up)

I just wanted to share what I've found. The Metzler's ARE lighter than the Dunlops!!!
                Your Friend in Sport,

Edwin

Comment

Another thing to think about...

The Rennsport has the same weight savings on the front as a OZ rim as opposed to stock for around 1/4 the price.
                  Your Friend in Sport,

Edwin

Comment

I knew I loved my Rennsports for a reason. Out of curiousity, is anyone here running a Rennsport front and M1 Sportec rear? A bunch of people around here are having good success with the softer front, longer wearing rear of other brands, but I haven't seen any Metz fans doing it. Anybody have first hand praises or complaints?
                    Nathan
                    2001 Ducati 996
                    Former 1997 TLS Owner

Of all manifestations of power, that which most impresses is restraint - Thucydides

Comment

I did that with my old MEZ's on the TLS. I would go through 2 or 3 back tires per one front tire. I started running the stock "Race" compound MEZ up front and the "Street" MEZ's out back, and it pretty much evened things out. I know this isn't the same as the Rennsport/M1 combo you are asking about, but I have done it in the past with older Metzelers.
                      Last edited by Edwin; 08-21-2003, 06:16 PM.
                      Your Friend in Sport,

Edwin

Comment

Here's another Metz question. Discountmotorcycletire lists the Rennsport Race and Rennsport Street differently, but all I was aware of were the different RS1, RS2, RS3 compound softness ratings. What's up with the Race/Street? On their site they show very limited sizes on the "Street" so maybe that is an older designation??

Also, is there a way to tell the compound by looking at the tire? It doesn't say RS1/2/3 anywhere, but there are some other numbers (besides the width/profile/wheel) that I have no idea what they are. Is there a compound designator on the tire someplace?
                        Nathan
                        2001 Ducati 996
                        Former 1997 TLS Owner

Of all manifestations of power, that which most impresses is restraint - Thucydides

Comment

Yes Nathan, the Rennsport "Race" tires have color codes for their compound (theres a colored dot on the tire)

Green- Soft

Blue - Super Soft

The street compounds don't have any color code as far as I know.

I don't know if the race tires have "RS1" stamped on them, but they are listed as Rennsport RS1 Race, the street version is listed as Rennsport MEZ
                          Last edited by Edwin; 08-21-2003, 06:29 PM.
                          Your Friend in Sport,

Edwin

Comment

Re: Unofficial Tire weights

Originally posted by Edwin
                            Metzeler Rennsport Front (120/70ZR17): 8lbs. 6oz.

Metzeler Rennsport Rear (180/55ZR17): 12lbs. 9oz.

Dunlop D208 Front (120/70ZR17): 9lbs. 10oz.

Dunlop D208 Rear (180/55ZR17): 13lbs. 4 oz.

The Bridgestones I got was for a YZF600 so they were smaller (120/60ZR17 & 160/60ZR17) so I didn't bother to weigh them.

Like I said, these Metzelers FEEL lighter. The one pound difference in the front may not sound like much, but in terms of unsprung mass it's HUGE! I have been doing some research on rims looking for the best possible weight savings with durability, then I got to thinking about tire and rotor weights as well which is why I took this oppertunity to compare tires side by side. I dunno how much the Pirelli's weigh, but they would be the only other type of tire I'd wanna try. (I heard the Michelins take too long to heat up)

I just wanted to share what I've found. The Metzler's ARE lighter than the Dunlops!!!
                            Like always Edwin has all the good info! Hey Edwin you care if I share this with another board?

My site.
                            www.tacoma.gixxer.com

Comment

You are more than welcome to my friend. Remember, I weighed them on a digital bathroom scale so it may not be the precise weight.
                              Your Friend in Sport,

Edwin

Comment

Working...
                              X