No announcement yet.

Track day tires for a heavy rider?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive been considering those as im afraid im not fast enough to keep the michelins hot! i sure like the idea tho.

Comment

Some moderate effort track video of me on my TLR on my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64GPAR28jOM

I'm about 310lbs with all my gear on and have been using (both street and track) Michelin Pilot Power variants(original and 2CT) for 12 years on all my TLRs. I have yet to encounter a better cool weather tire. As for riding in the wet, the siping on them is very effective at pumping water away.

-Don't worry about not getting enough heat in them, you'll get plenty into them.
      -Don't worry about rain, they are probably the best in the rain you can get, for not being a dedicated rain tire.
      -If you are doing a track day when its hotter than hell, they do feel a little greasy out there when they heat up. not bad though.
      -I run them at 31psi front, and 29psi rear(cold pressures).

Just make sure your suspension parts are fairly fresh, that is just as important(if not more) than the tires you select.

Have fun out there!

Last edited by LiononaLeash; 11-09-2016, 01:02 PM.
      TL1000R: For those who like to drive high speed tanks

Comment

Thread bump for more info.
        I'm 6'1 and 260# in full track gear. Mid-pack intermediate group (middle-aged guy w/ 29 yrs exp street, 4 yrs exp track).
        '06 GSX-R600 forks, Penske 8987 shock. Both ends sprung for my weight.

My TLS is currently shod w/ Bridgestone BT-016 PRO, 120/70 front, 190/55 rear.
        I like 'em; very predictable and forgiving, which has worked well as my pace has increased. Comfortable, compliant ride, and predictable in the wet as well.

Although I had a remarkable epiphany, courtesy of a Dave Moss suspension seminar I attended.
        I had been running them at 32psi front/30psi rear cold. Although grip was good, I'd kinda reached a plateau, I couldn't tighten up my line like I wanted. And the tread was displaying 'Hot-Tearing'.
        Then I had a chat with Dave, after a base-line suspension setup (verrrry helpful!). The BT-016 PRO has soft carcass construction, so they require much higher cold pressure to fill out the profile.
        He had me bump them up. Waay up. Like 38F/36R cold street! Felt a bit firmer on the street, but not a huge differrence.

Took them to the track and experimented a bit, settled on 34F/36R cold...WOW what a difference!
        Carrying corner speed felt better, and the bike felt light on its feet - I could actually change direction, and finish a turn under power. It was awesome.
        Apparently I'd basically been skating around on overheated tread; the 'line-holding' challenges were likely the tires sliding. To their credit, the BT-016 PRO felt stable even with all that going on, never had a spooky moment. IMHO they have more grip than I can likely use.

Moral of the story: Never stop studying, never stop learning, never stop asking questions. The best you know is all that you know.

The BT-016 PROs are getting kinda shaggy now. I'm thinking about replacing them with the Bridgestone S21. Or maybe trying a Pirelli Diablo Rosso.

Last edited by TLS-TedR; 02-24-2017, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X