Setting up a TLS for track days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a TLS for track days

So I bought a TLS strictly for the track. I removed all the lights. It Does not have any plastics. Thinking airtech low tail and just a number plate on the front. Any other suggestions besides race wiring brake bolts and such?

Wouldn't worry too much about safety wiring, except for your bar grips and your oil drain plug / oil filter.
    Get your suspension set up for your weight. Make sure you have good brakes with some feel to them, maybe a radial master cylinder and
    tires up to the task, Metzeler M7 RR or something similar or better. Frame and axel sliders are very good investment. Track time and tuition.
    Good gear for yourself because shit does happen.
    From there, its a bottomless pit of what you can or should do.

I enjoy my track days, personally I thinks its the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
    I run a 2001 Aprilia Mille R myself.

Last edited by Bill R; 04-16-2018, 11:26 AM.
    Double Trouble - Two Black 98 TLSs

Full Yosh RS3 CF, Ohlins/Bitubo SOAS, R-Tech GV & 1kgs/7.5wt/Ohlins SD, 19RCS/Nissin 6 pots/Earls SS, Air box mod/TLR T,OR /PAIRed, Flashed, Matt's TRE-3, R-man's 1/5th, 17-39

M4/Yosh RS3 Ti, Traxx. R1 05/Bitubo SOAS/Ziggy's RHA, Attack Racing triples/Ohlins R&T FG838 forks/5wt/Ohlins SD, 19RCS/Nissin 6 pots/Nissin rear/Earls SS/Galfer, Sam's+STM slipper, AB mod/TLR BM & T,OR/PAIRed, Matt's TRE-3, R-man's 1/5th, PVM rims/DSMQ2/190-55/Gilles adj/17-40

Comment

Thanks Bill. Im off to a good start then.

Comment

Too bad your across the country. I've got Sharkskinz bodywork for that model. Great track bike with right suspension and set-up.

Comment

How much do you want for em? Pics?

Comment

Took it in to work today (on my day off) 6,051 miles on it. Valves were in spec (I figured they would be) throttle bodies were out of sync but they are good now. And the spark plugs were NASTY. She's runnin good now. Front rim has a nice ding in the edge. Gonna see if I can pound it out with a hammer and a two by four. Threw a New Pirelli on the back with a right angle valve stem. I will do the front when I get/have it streaightened.

Comment

lay three layers of masking tape on the rim where it is bent.
              rest a 2x3 pine stud 12 in long edge on to the point with your left hand and smack it 3 times with a 4lb hammer. in your right. you may need a thick glove on your left to absorb some shock .
              remove tape and inspect your progress.
              repeat as required
              www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
              But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

Put on a Belly Pan and wire everything that has liquid behind it.... Things happen and you don't want to be the guy causing a 4 Hour delay for clean up.....You wont make friends that way..
                www.sportbiketracktime.com
                Southern Division Coach

Comment

Sent you a pm. Ring-in method for tire fix works. Have done it in past.

Comment

Here's a pic with a Sharkskinz tail on 1 of my TL"s".

Comment

Originally posted by Qwik View Post
                      So I bought a TLS strictly for the track. I removed all the lights. It Does not have any plastics. Thinking airtech low tail and just a number plate on the front. Any other suggestions besides race wiring brake bolts and such?
                      If its just going to be a track bike, lights are excess weight. Even if it ends up being a part time track, part time street bike, I'd recommend at least some cheap track plastics to throw on for track days. Sears Point and Laguna (and Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, etc) would be much more comfortable behind a windscreen. When we take the R1 to the track I spend the better part of an afternoon removing what isn't needed and putting on the track plastics. Although Dawn rarely crashes these days, I'd rather she destroy non OEM plastics if she does. If you do a little searching of this site, you'll see with "little" effort, you can put pretty much any fairings on you'd like. Sam and others have run older GSXR fairings, mine had 08 GSXR fairings. As far as suspension, you should get a hold of Dave Moss. He's up in northern California, frequently attends track days and offers trackside suspension service. All round great guy, just don't challenge him to a race. For an old guy he's pretty dam fast out on the track.

Guess someone should ask, ever done a track day/race before?
                      People not to buy from ...ckfrdrice...TeamDutch People that I have purchased things from that were great to deal with ...Vandriver, Sam, Ziggy999, TLMike, djkoenig, N2Wheelies, CalSportbike, ET79, S Winglet, Rifleman, Sully, Danny Never, h0ssman, The Ring-in. GhostMAFIA, Speedking...I know there's more...just can't remember everyone I've bought stuff from

Comment

I took Jason Pridmore's STAR school in 02 on my 01 GSXR1000. And I did a couple others way back then as well. Im doing Keigwin's at the Track at Thunderhill on June 3rd. So hopefully I can get this one finished in time. If not I will be on My TLR for it. I know I will end up in C class and thats fine. Im not a racer. Just a regular rider.

Comment

Its looking like this TLS is too badly abused to recover with reasonable cost. So I guess my TLR will end up as my track machine. Kind of bummed because I have put some serious coin into it already.

Comment

What needs to be done?
                            What do you still need?
                            Double Trouble - Two Black 98 TLSs

Full Yosh RS3 CF, Ohlins/Bitubo SOAS, R-Tech GV & 1kgs/7.5wt/Ohlins SD, 19RCS/Nissin 6 pots/Earls SS, Air box mod/TLR T,OR /PAIRed, Flashed, Matt's TRE-3, R-man's 1/5th, 17-39

M4/Yosh RS3 Ti, Traxx. R1 05/Bitubo SOAS/Ziggy's RHA, Attack Racing triples/Ohlins R&T FG838 forks/5wt/Ohlins SD, 19RCS/Nissin 6 pots/Nissin rear/Earls SS/Galfer, Sam's+STM slipper, AB mod/TLR BM & T,OR/PAIRed, Matt's TRE-3, R-man's 1/5th, PVM rims/DSMQ2/190-55/Gilles adj/17-40

Comment

The bad..... It has no bodywork. Im waiting on a fleabay guage bracket, front rim is dinged bad, subframe has a bolt broken off for the gas tank mount (thats bent as well), forks are damaged, and the wiring harness has been hacked up.

the good.... it has 6500 miles on the engine. On a quick ride in front of the house the damned thing makes great power and sounds like hell unleashed (Two Brothers slip-on's)

Comment

Working...
                              X